• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case Linkage/ Tranny tunnel

dodo4bird

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 xj ax-15 transmission. My linkage is out of wack but I am wondering what the piece does that goes into the Tranny tunnel. I can shift my jeep into 4WD but the linkage does not go into the tranny tunnel, Im kinda new so plz help.Thanks

Okay that makes more sense to me now. Part of the reason I was confused was your use of the term "tranny tunnel". To me the tunnel is the hump running down the middle of the body to clear the transmission and driveline.

I'm guessing you installed the typical 1" spacers between the crossmember and the body, but from the pictures it looks like maybe more? I'm thinking the easiest fix is to lower the bracket that's on the body. Get a square piece of 1/8 or 3/16 metal and drill holes for the original mounting screws at the top, a new set of holes 1" lower to mount the original smaller plate, and a hole for the shaft to stick through.

You might be able to redrill a hole higher up on the bracket thats attached to the tranny as well. Pop out the plastic bushing and measure the original hole. I don't think that bracket will bend up very easily as I think you were suggesting. It's bolted to the aluminum flange where the xfer case.

First thanks. Your right I did go with an 4 inch lift from rocky-road.com with a 1 inch transfer case drop. I looked at the skyjacker linkage kit and it seemd like it will work. but it doesnt say anything about drilling through the bracket with the green spacer. does that still need to be done, b/c my bracket might be bent?
Thanks

You should need to drill on the tranny-side bracket (with the green plastic) as the drop bracket should lower the body side to match. I can't tell 100%, but from your pictures it doesn't look like that bracket is bent. The part that rotates and is sitting XXXX-eyed normally slides into the body-bracket. It should slide over and snap into the green plastic piece once things are lined up.

When you did the TC drop did you pull the TC mount? Reason I ask is if the mount is flipped it will push the transfercase over and not allow for proper linkage alignment.

jragan said:
When you did the TC drop did you pull the TC mount? Reason I ask is if the mount is flipped it will push the transfercase over and not allow for proper linkage alignment.

What he's saying is that there are two pieces involved in the mount, one is the cross member that bolts to the two unibody rails and the other is the rubber or poly tranny mount that attaches between the cross member and the tranny. On the stock tranny mount it's easy to switch front to back and not notice. You'll bolt the mount to the transmission(or more accurately the spacer between the transmission and the xfer case) and then the cross member to the unibody rails. When I made this mistake I found it hard to impossible to get the cross member to frame rail bolts/nuts to line up, at least on one side. So if you had to fight to get the holes lined up that would be a sign it's reversed.

dodo4bird said:
Would you happen to have a picture of what it should look like?
I don't have a picture of what it would look like after but here's the stock situation. Where the red arrow is pointing is the frame side mount point for the bell crank bar that gets cockeyed in a xfer cased drop. The mount point consists of a bushing and it's holder held in with two nuts. To return the bar to horizontal so it isn't binding you'll need to remove the bushing holder, buy or make a little rectangle that you'll attach to the original posts in the frame bracket and then re-mount the bushing holder an inch lower on that rectangle. You'll need to drill holes for bolts and a hole for the bell crank bar to go through.
And you'll also want to move the clamp on the first bar off the xfer case handle so when the handle is in 2wd the rest of the mechanism is in 2wd.

2166368806_abbbbfe6dd_o.jpg

Last edited:
Back