• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end shaking and hopping in deeper snow?

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 4.5" lift, bds adjustable lower and upper arms, re trackbar,new motor and trans mounts, newer alloy usa axles,new ball joints and all new steering (yes every little peice), When in deep snow in 4wd (chewing through the snow) the front end really starts hopping, especially when turning. Last year I had the same hopping feeling when my upper control arm body side bushings were shot. Is this just normal? I never feel it offroad in the summer, but there is also a hell of a lot more traction.

Are all of your tires the same exact height? I know for a while I had tires that were slightly larger than the ones in the front and I had some hopping too. Problem went away with new tires (well front at least).

If I remember correctly,this subject was brought up last year and it was decided that it is a pretty commom thing for xj's to do in snow. Mine did it when it was stock,i lifted it 3" and replaced all frontend parts,it still does it. I am not worried about it,it doesn't do it in mud or any other time I use 4 wheel drive,just snow.

Mine was doing that 2 weekends ago in the deeper snow.. I figured it was just a bad trans mount or something.. have you checked yours?

Mine is my winter beater for now with 2" lift and no disco's, etc. I don't remember my last XJ (5.5" lift and 33's) doing the snow hopping, but it's been a good year...

Last edited:
Mine did the same thing sunday above Bass Lake, CA. I have a 6.5'' Rockkrawler lift with 33''. I had to keep it moving pretty good, but if i bogged down it would happen. So today i put the sway-bar back only to see if that helps next weekend. Maybe it will help with hopp. The jeeps not a DD so i just leave the sway-bar off. I keep it taged and inn. to only drive it once or twice a month cause the guy's @ work love it! or if the girlfriend needs the SUPERDUTY!

new tires all the same, shocks are 1-1/2 years old, I first noticed it last year when chained up in the deep snow. Just wanted to see if I was the only one.

They will all do it when you turn very sharp, its your U-joints trying to say go straight lol. I can't recall what mine does, don't get much snow up here.

Mine does the same, both stock and with a RE superflex 3.5 lift. Tried everything i could to fix it, guess its just normal. Then again, every vehicle i have seems to have oddball issues...

I had the same problem a couple weeks ago wheeling, I've got about 4" of lift on RK long arms on 33's. Thought it was just me, but when the early 90's jimmy on solid axles and 36's was having the same problem, I just assumed it came with snow wheeling. Oh well.

I was driving threw some snow this last weekend my hoops also. Brand new 33, 1yr u joints, brand shocks. I think the hoops is caused when your tires try to drive over the snow and can't so they dig and then you climb again over and over.

Back