• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1990 Renix & scan tool

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Merry Christmas

Does my 1990 4.0 XJ have OBD of any kind. Brother bought me an OBD2 scan tool for Christmas. Will this do me any good or should I keep it for the wife's Camry or son's Corolla, or go on a bender.

Happy New Year

:party:

ParadiseXJ said:
Merry Christmas

Does my 1990 4.0 XJ have OBD of any kind. Brother bought me an OBD2 scan tool for Christmas. Will this do me any good or should I keep it for the wife's Camry or son's Corolla, or go on a bender.

Happy New Year

OBDII scan tool wont work with Renix era jeeps.

ParadiseXJ said:
Merry Christmas

Happy New Year

No.

1987-1990 - "pre-OBD."

1991-1995 - OBD-I
1996-2001 - OBD-II

1984-1986 w/2.8L - OBD-I (GM)

Welcome to the wonderful world of Renix.....

Find the thread called "The Renx Files" and make it your friend. It covers a lot of good info. Not just high idle problems.

then goto pirate4x4 and "find" the renix fuel injection manual.
read it
memorize it
never be without a DMM.

SCupstateXJ said:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Renix.....

Find the thread called "The Renx Files" and make it your friend. It covers a lot of good info. Not just high idle problems.

Then go on a bender, you'll need it.

87manche said:
then goto pirate4x4 and "find" the renix fuel injection manual.
read it
memorize it
never be without a DMM.

some of the best advice a renix owner can recieve

I have a 90 and bought a used Snap on MT2500 with all the cables, adapters, and cartriges for 850.00 I use it with other stuff too, but it's paid for itself many times finding problems.

ParadiseXJ said:
:anon: OK, I'll bite. What is a DMM?

I think I have everything else including a couple of BFH's

:farmer:

DMM might be = digital multi meter. Also DVM - digital volt meter. Electronics tool - basically volt/ohm meter of some style or another. Cost range $15-$150.

SCupstateXJ said:
Digital Multi Meter My personal choice is a Fluke.

Fluke is nice, but can be spendy (I have two - a DMM and a ScopeMeter.) Most of the Sears-branded DMMs are good, although the neophyte should avoid "autoranging" meters, as they can be confusing at times.

There are a couple of tests where you need an analogue (sweep needle) meter, but they don't often need to be checked (as I recall.) You can often find test meters with both a sweep needle face and an inset digital readout - these are nice.

Having one that accepts a thermocouple (for temperature measurement) is handy, but you won't use it very often. I probably use my "non-contact IR" thermometer more than I use the thermocouple for my Fluke - but it's available as an option.

If you have electronics stores handy (that cater to techs,) you can probably find a low-level Fluke or Beckman Industrial (both are good) for a decent price. Else, check Sears - I've got a couple of theirs, and they work well. If possible, get a unit that accepts a standard-length (shrouded or no) "banana plug" for test leads. You'll be able to switch test leads for probe-end or clip-end leads, and eventually you'll want to make your own anyhow. Any jack that accepts a shrouded banana plug will accept any shrouded or unshrouded plug.

Back