• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for those with 31 or 33inch tires with stock gearing

projectTK

NAXJA Forum User
I figured id start a thread about the drivability and opinions of running stock gears and bigger tires. I have 31's on a 4.5lift with the stock 3.07gears and 5th gear is not usable. I run it up to 60 in 4th and put it in 5th then i watch it fall on its face and bog down to wear i have to pop her in forth. Then i thought gas mileage would actuallly be better to run 60mph in 4th gear cause the motor is running in the torquey range. Instead of in 5th dogging it and making the engine run harder and takes more gas. Am i right? any opinions welcome

Part one: I run the AW4 with 30s and it kind of, sort of, sucks. I turn around 2700 RPM at 80 MPH. Great!
From 1800 RPM, though, acceleration sucks. Uphill in 4th is a pipe dream and depending on entrance speed, there are mountains here in utah that will bog me down in 3rd. Feels pretty great getting passed by Saturn 4-doors...
Time to go 3.73 or 4.10 for me... anyone have an axle for sale?

i dont know what lift u have or what tires u plan on going but 373 should be out of ur option 410 or 456's. I dont have the time or money to upgrade at the moment. I just wanted to here other people responses on the subject.

projectTK said:
i dont know what lift u have or what tires u plan on going but 373 should be out of ur option 410 or 456's. I dont have the time or money to upgrade at the moment. I just wanted to here other people responses on the subject.

Running 2.5" of lift & 30x9.50s. Gonna try and pay the jeep off before going any higher or adding slick-looking dents :twak:

4.10, according to calculators I've used, is deeper gearing than stock even for 31s.

I have no idea what kind of mileage I got on 31's and 3.07's with my 5spd as I never corrected the speedo.

But damn, does the Jeep ever feel better now with 4.10's. I get 15-17mpg.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I have no idea what kind of mileage I got on 31's and 3.07's with my 5spd as I never corrected the speedo.

But damn, does the Jeep ever feel better now with 4.10's. I get 15-17mpg.

i get about the same with an auto and 3.55 gears and 31s. and i figured up the difference between having stock tires and 31s and do that math. its 10% off. usually get 15-17 mpg

I have 33s with 3.07 and an AX15. It sucks, especially in the mountains around here, gears are my next mod. They'd be done already if I could stop overanalyzing if and which axles, lockers, u-joints, hubs etc I should do at the same time. And now I'm hearing rumors about 4.88s for my 8.25! I'll never make up my mind.

And talk about embarrasing, I stalled pulling into a parking lot a while back, twice, and had to put it in 4-lo just to have low enough gearing to get going again.

dbroudy said:
I have 33s with 3.07 and an AX15. It sucks, especially in the mountains around here, gears are my next mod.

Sorry, but that HAS to be the understatement of the year. I run 31's on 3.55's and couldn't imagine in my wildest wet dream running 33's on 3.55 let alone on 3.07's.
Wow, your communte must SUCK!:gee:

I currently running 33 on 3.55 since I haven't found a better rear end. But with the V8 still throws you back in the seat. 4.10 are the plan soon.

wow....as of today im running 30's on an AW4 and it feels about the same as stock....

but later today i will be on 33's with stock gearing....so ill let you know how that goes

N20Jeep said:
wow....as of today im running 30's on an AW4 and it feels about the same as stock....

but later today i will be on 33's with stock gearing....so ill let you know how that goes

That's what I'm running. You mpg is going to drop big time. Just to let you know, overdrive is useless. I drive with mine in "3" all the time. Even on the interstate.

I can't wait to regear, but I'm not dropping a dime until I get rid of the D35 :puke: ... I've been on hand to see 3 break myself. 2 XJ's and 1 YJ. Just not worth it.

I've been on 33's with stock 3.55's for a while, and auto tranny. Not extremely bad, since I can't remember what it was like when everything was stock, but I can tell it really tries on the highway to keep speeds, or when I need to accelerate. Around town its not too bad, I know I can't just put the pedal down most of the time, finese is necessary not to blow through gas.

I'm just waiting until I get the truss and shock mounts welded on my D44, then I'll have 4.56 in the rear for commuting to work, so I can get the money for the front.

Begster said:
I'm just waiting until I get the truss and shock mounts welded on my D44, then I'll have 4.56 in the rear for commuting to work, so I can get the money for the front.

Ouch, 2WD XJ in New England this time of year.....:scared:

MY experience? had 235's ran like a sum beach, put 31's on, no diff, still ran like a sum beach. Just put on new 32's, not happy at all, has gotten doggy, maybe time for a tuneup

91Woody said:
Ouch, 2WD XJ in New England this time of year.....:scared:
I know. Thats why the 44 is not in yet. I'm not doing it while I'm at home cause the only way to get anywhere is drive, and cause I really don't want to lose 4wd at all. So I'm waiting until I go back up to school, where I need to commute 45 mins to my co-op job, and my friend will be working at the same place so I can catch a ride with him and just leave mine sitting around should the weather get bad. It would be going on prob 1st week of jan, and only be 2wd until the middle of Jan anyways.

I run 32x9.5 TSL's daily with stock 3.07's. It gets up and goes just fine for a lifted truck. There are plenty of ricers i my area that will no longer try to race me in the stop light drags. On the highway, I never use 5th gear unless I am going 75+ which I never do, and cruising around 65 mph will give me 18 mpg. Around town gas mileage is 12-14 depending how I drive it.

When I put 31's on my 2.5" OME lift 5th became unusable for me and 4th was also a problem (it doesn't help being at altitude). I have the manual transmission. I put on an FIPK2 and a bored/honed TB shortly afterwards. (search for fastman throttlebodies he specializes in Dodge but has one for the I6 4.0L). It brought 5th back and still drives really strong even in the mountains. I also get a consistent 17.5MPG on average per tank fill.

run 31's on 3.55's and AW4, not bad, but 3.73/4.10's would be best. Gonna have to wait though, not dumping any more $ in to the axles then I have to, wait till I get the D60's, 35's, and 4.56's.

i run 89 4.0, 33's/auto/ 3.55's, 184k
definetly lost power compared to stock but ever heard of living life in 4 lo?, but i still can go 70-80mph(not sure if speedo is correct) with no vibes either on the 3" lift and lotsa trim, and i get around 15-17 mpg with an intake/cone filter, i have a 44 in the garage and just waiting for money for d30-posilok, rear chromo shafts, 95 wrangler dana 30 shafts, and a d44 aussie to keep the whole project cheap and under 1k for the next step. it has enough power to get me to the bay from sacto, or from sacto to the high seirra's in about an hour and a half either way. i run three tranny coolers too, keep it tuned, and steers straight. plus im heavier, with a brush guard, confer rack, and homemade jerry can/tool box holder on the rear, and lotsa extra metal.

Back