• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker front or rear first?

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
So i got some cash for christmas. About $400.00 wanted to lock at least one axle. But Not sure which would be best first and what locker would you all recomend.? Oh I have an 2001 with D-30 up front and Chry. 8.25 in rear. I'm thinking about going with a lockright up front first. Cause I'd like to upgrade to a 44 at some point at some point in the future.

If your going to upgrade the rear, then dont lock it AT ALL. lock the front if your gonna keep it, and if your ever gonna regear anytime soon, then might want to think about a lunchbox locker like An Aussie, now im confused is the lockright, a mechanical LS? or is it a lunchbox? either way....Do the front first

I plan to upgrade the front to a d-44 but in the distant future.

Which is better for wheelin front or rear?
I'll def go with Lunch box for sake of regearing later.

Last edited:
I'd go for the rear first, since your D30 is low-pinion.

xjohnnyc said:

A lunchbox replaces the spider gears, it is not a full carrier type locker. If your on a budget keep the 8.25 just as strong as a 44 and superior is coming out with 488 for it. Yes it is better to have a high pinion 30 but your low is just fine if you take care of the angle after lifting. I say put a few more dollars toward a selectable locker for your 30, you should be able to get a Ected for around 500. Don't wast your time with the other crap as you will want to upgrade afterwards anyway! My 2cents.

Why selectable for front? If I'm in 2x drive it won't make a diffeance in the on road handling. I would think that a selectable for the rear would be a must as I will want to have good driving for my DD:confused1

I was gonna give some advice, as I got a Lockrite for my D30 sitting right next to me. But I think you got a low pinnion D30, so do the high swap, than do the locker.

hammerandnailsco said:
Why selectable for front? If I'm in 2x drive it won't make a diffeance in the on road handling. I would think that a selectable for the rear would be a must as I will want to have good driving for my DD:confused1

Wrong, it will make a difference 2 & 4 WD. Just because your in 2wd does not mean your axles which ARE connected to the locker are not rotating. If you were to have lockouts THEN drivability issues are not noticable because you are disconnected at the hub!! Swapping your low for a high is ideal BUT I have friends that wheel their lows with no issues! Your choice/money!! It sounds to me as though your funds are limited so make smart choices! I saved my money and researched the shit out of everything I could before purchase. I have been wheeling for around 30 years aswell, so I have a little experience too.:peace:

xjohnnyc said:
Thats DUMB,what difference does the pinion height make!Im still runnning a LP D30 at 6" for over 6 years!

ColoradoRaptor said:
Wrong, it will make a difference 2 & 4 WD. Just because your in 2wd does not mean your axles which ARE connected to the locker are not rotating. If you were to have lockouts THEN drivability issues are not noticable because you are disconnected at the hub!! Swapping your low for a high is ideal BUT I have friends that wheel their lows with no issues! Your choice/money!! It sounds to me as though your funds are limited so make smart choices! I saved my money and researched the shit out of everything I could before purchase. I have been wheeling for around 30 years aswell, so I have a little experience too.:peace:
So wise man, what difference does it make??

fyi, when not under power (i.e. in 2wd), they will ratchet and allow speed differentials between wheels.

1996cc said:
So wise man, what difference does it make??

fyi, when not under power (i.e. in 2wd), they will ratchet and allow speed differentials between wheels.

Ok, smart @$$ I know how they work!! Tell the auto lockers that when on snow and ice!! Call me what you will, was just tryin to help a fellow wheeler. Maybe I should have been a BIT MORE specific for ya!! :rolleyes:

ColoradoRaptor said:
Ok, smart @$$ I know how they work!! Tell the auto lockers that when on snow and ice!! Call me what you will, was just tryin to help a fellow wheeler. Maybe I should have been a BIT MORE specific for ya!! :rolleyes:

I've driven on snow and ice with auto lockers front and rear with out any problems and in 2wd the front was not noticable. I guess if I were to jump from a totally stock rig to mine I would have noticed it but after driving it for a while it is just second nature to deal with the querks of autolockers.

RCP Phx said:
Thats DUMB,what difference does the pinion height make!Im still runnning a LP D30 at 6" for over 6 years!

Actually your response is DUMB and uneducated. Try reading this:

LOW PINION D30:

This axle made its debut, much to the chagrin of enthusiasts, in 2000. This axle uses geometry common to rear axles. The pinion rides below the ring gear centerline, and when used in a rear application, rides on the drive side of the gear. However, when used in a front application, the pinion rides on the coast side of the gear when driving forward. The coast side of a gear set has a greater slope to it than the drive side, so this accentuates our problem of ring gear deflection described above. When driving on the coast side of a gear, the ring and pinion is about 25% weaker than when running o the drive side. A reverse spiral gear as found in earlier XJ axles solved this problem by cutting the ring gear with the drive and coast side of the gear swapped. This design was conceived by Dana and Ford in the late 60’s to improve driveline angles and strength in their front axles. It does both well. In a sense, the 2000 and 2001 model axles are a de-evolution in technology.

Comment now?

I think I'll go with a lock right in the front for now and save for a selectable for the rear. Then in the long run I can go to a 44 in the front and then get a selectable up front 2. Thanks all.

Now where is a good place to buy em. I'm a little learry of online shopping for something like this but I could I guess.

Does the low and High pinion use the same locker? Cause I can't seem to find a differance.

RCP Phx said:
Your an IDIOT,under 2wd situations there is no TORQUE applied to the locker,meaning NO locking!

Thanks for your input jerkoff!! Like I said I know HOW they work! Had one up front before and there WAS a difference!! Maybe a fluke but nevertheless there was a damn difference! You seem to know how they work but do you run one? If so you can only speak from experience as does everyone here who gives helpfull advice. You clearly have little experience and manors so.........have a nice day!

mattyj said:
Actually your response is DUMB and uneducated. Try reading this:

LOW PINION D30:

This axle made its debut, much to the chagrin of enthusiasts, in 2000. This axle uses geometry common to rear axles. The pinion rides below the ring gear centerline, and when used in a rear application, rides on the drive side of the gear. However, when used in a front application, the pinion rides on the coast side of the gear when driving forward. The coast side of a gear set has a greater slope to it than the drive side, so this accentuates our problem of ring gear deflection described above. When driving on the coast side of a gear, the ring and pinion is about 25% weaker than when running o the drive side. A reverse spiral gear as found in earlier XJ axles solved this problem by cutting the ring gear with the drive and coast side of the gear swapped. This design was conceived by Dana and Ford in the late 60’s to improve driveline angles and strength in their front axles. It does both well. In a sense, the 2000 and 2001 model axles are a de-evolution in technology.

Comment now?

No, his response in not DUMB!! Yes, what you say is true about the LP but he has wheeled it for a while with no problems as have some of my friends. If it works then who cares if the technical jargon says it is a de-evolution. You can look up all the info you want, doesn't change the fact that many wheelers use the LP with success!! :rtm:

I just defended the very person who insulted me.........I must be getting old..........Oh well..........:cheers: :NAXJA:

ColoradoRaptor said:
No, his response in not DUMB!! Yes, what you say is true about the LP but he has wheeled it for a while with no problems as have some of my friends. If it works then who cares if the technical jargon says it is a de-evolution. You can look up all the info you want, doesn't change the fact that many wheelers use the LP with success!! :rtm:

First off... he was the one who called somebody DUMB for adding a comment with technical merit.

"who cares about the technical jargon"?????? Last i checked this was a MOD TECH forum.!

Re read your post and realize that you just contributed ZIP to educating anyone here.

Now go back and wheel your D35 with 37's.........im sure many people do it with success:doh:

Back