• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road Trip

435Mj

NAXJA Forum User
First off merry christmas everyone. I hope everyone gets the parts you asked Santa for.

Ok so hear is our story. Recently my Girlfriend and I have decieded to up and leave Chicago for an extended period of time and our first destination this winter is going to be the one and only Moad, UT via stopping through Denver, Co for a while and then maybe up to the Ogden area outside of SLC after awhile in Moab. Our question to everyone is this, what would you do to get your rig ready for the trek? Chi. to Den. is 1000 miles and Den. to Moab is about 450 miles. So in round figures call it 1500 miles Please let us know what your checklist would be if you
were going to be doing this yourself. So far I have done the following. Thanks for the help tim and camille.

:change oil
:cap & rotor.plugs, and wires (within the last year)
:replaced front hubs
:replaced front axel u-joints
:replaced front pumpkin drive shaft u-joint
:rebuilt rear drive shaft (within the last year)
:new radiator (within the last year)
:new upper radiator hose(same time as radiator)
:new alternator (within the last year)
:replacer head gasket (within the last year)
:replaced stock exhaust and intake with K&N and tube up front, and Flowmaster cat back.
:Newer brakes
:new master cylinder and clutch (within the last year)(seems the be losing presure at the pedel lately)

I have yet to do my serpintine belt and rear pumpkin u-joint but i have the parts just havent had the time.

specs:
93 jeep cherokee
207,500 miles
5 spd w/ 3:07 gears
4x4
dana 30/chrysler 8 1/4
NP231 TC w/ a porc HD sye
Retubed & lengthened 92 auto CV front drive shaft (my rear drive shaft)
31x10.5R15 BFG MT
15x8 crager rims w/ 4.00 BS
RE 6130 4.5 full leaf spring lift
flowmaster catback exhaust
K&N 4.5" cone w/ rusty air tube
porc hd sye
.75 coil isolators
hurst short throw shifter

Im figuring that I get about 13-15 mpg with my current set-up. Im looking to maybe get a little better gas mileage as we all are, and nip anything in the butt that has the potential run amuck on a roadtrip.

Last edited:
Ho, Ho, Ho!

I'm jealous-- the wife and I consider a trip to Wal-Mart getting out of town for a while lately!
Aside from determining why the clutch is loosing pressure (leak or bad slave or master) and stocking up on extra fluids (oil, trans, coolant, and washer fluid) and spare parts (belt, hoses, tire patch kit, wiper blades, small battery powered air pump, thermostat and gasket) I'd hit the road with a charge card that you'll use only for emergency repairs and let the adventure begin.

The best times I remember were always the unplanned "spur of the moment" trips where the only schedule you have to follow is the one yoy make that morning.

Best of luck and let us know how it went!!
--Shorty

Shorty said:
Ho, Ho, Ho!

I'm jealous-- the wife and I consider a trip to Wal-Mart getting out of town for a while lately!
Aside from determining why the clutch is loosing pressure (leak or bad slave or master) and stocking up on extra fluids (oil, trans, coolant, and washer fluid) and spare parts (belt, hoses, tire patch kit, wiper blades, small battery powered air pump, thermostat and gasket) I'd hit the road with a charge card that you'll use only for emergency repairs and let the adventure begin.

The best times I remember were always the unplanned "spur of the moment" trips where the only schedule you have to follow is the one yoy make that morning.

Best of luck and let us know how it went!!
--Shorty

thanks the good wishes shorty. This is going to be a extended and epic roadtrip over the next 6 mo. or long if i can get the gf maybe feiance by then to keep on wondering(i know i wont wont come back). We are literaly leaving our careers and school. The plan is to be a snowbums for the winter and work as little as possible to get by comfortably where ever we are living for the time.....basicly live the snowbum/outdoors person lifestyle for a few years while we are still young. and really see the United States and not just for a week at a time once a year.

As for the fluids i was planning on that and i do have a tire repair kit. but i was planning bringing my old belt as my spair (all my tools with be coming with as well) which Isnt that much). Im getting a full size so maybe i can get around the air pump. i do need a jacking option because i dont have after market bumpers.

XJOHNYC to answer your question I am bring my craftsman 100+ piece basic toolbox with standard and metric sockets and wrenches, allen keys,hammer,tire iron,toe strap,jumper cables,screw drivers,braker bar,oil,anti-freeze,water,washer fluid,extra gas,power stearing fluid.. I still need to figure out a way to jack it up. i have no after market bumpers to use a hi-lift and a bottle jack is to small.

Back