• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best gear package?

Mopar It

NAXJA Forum User
well interested in 30 splining locking and gearing my d30 also may buy a. Rear d44. And I'd lock and gear that maybe chromolys where would be a good site to buy packages

My ears were burning.

Mopar, polishing the 30 can be an art - but its christmas eve and after nearly totalling my jeep today, i'm WELL into the eggnog. PM me in 2-3 days and I'll drop you a phone number to call me at. We can chat about building up the axles and i have a vendor or two that will probably offer you a good deal on a package.

lowrange2 said:
Wow How'd you try to fubar your your Jeep?

My rear brakes went out on the trail and I didnt notice it (wasnt going all that fast), but my front brakes got overheated. Pulled onto the pavement and tried to stop, rolled through a stop sign into an intersection.

Mopar It, Cal is one of our resident gurus on what works on XJ's. Talking with him will help you decide if you really want to put that much effort into your d30. Listen to his advise.

I don't personally know Cal, but I have SEARCHED a lot on this subject. (Hint Hint)

Merry Christmas!
Neal

I don't know if I would go as far as 'guru'. I have an automotive background; and spend a fair amount of time reading. I've only had my XJ since 2003 - nowhere near the experiance of say, Goatman or Dave Taylor.

But I have played with most of the major dana 30 upgrades.

I was thinking of going that route, but I waited until I found someone that had decided they had enough of the D30 thing and built a 44, then picked up a well built 30 for a good price and had it swapped in in a day.

Last edited by a moderator:
IllianaXJ said:
I was thinking of going that route, but I waited until I found someone that had decided they had enough of the D30 thing and built a 44, then picked up a well built 30 for a good price and had it swapped in in a day.

The trend these days is towards keeping the 30 longer, and later moving to a 60/609. I picked up a 30 in the manner you are thinking of to score a cheap ARB, and found that most of the parts were so worn I couldn't re-use them. Those built 30's that do sell in good shape usually go to ebay where TJ guys pick them up for -far- more than a smarter XJ guy is willing to pay. :)

Best off order yourself a TNT truss, and call up reider racing to get a 30 spline arb, 30 spline unit bearings, 30 spline inners and outers, and then some form of superjoint for the axles - I am a big CTM fan. Throw in new balljoints while your at it and then either a WJ conversion, JCR 1-ton or other such steering upgrade, and a really stiff diff cover (crane, riddler, etc). Make sure you run quality gears (I like precision, superior are good too), quality balljoints (moog, spicer), and throw in some kind of lca miniskid to beef up the lca mounts.

I'm not the original poster, but I'm in pretty much the same place.

cal said:
Best off order yourself a TNT truss, and call up reider racing to get a 30 spline arb, 30 spline unit bearings, 30 spline inners and outers, and then some form of superjoint for the axles - I am a big CTM fan. ...... really stiff diff cover (crane, riddler, etc).

What about an OX? They make a 30 spline d30 unit and it comes with the diff cover. I know it's newer and doesn't have quite the reputation of ARB, but it seems like they're gotten past some of their initial problems and a cable appeals to me more than air hoses.

Is a 30 spline always the same diameter? Does a Dana 30 30 spline have the same axle diameter as a Dana 44 30 spline? Maybe it's obvious, but I've haven't been able to find any info on this.

I didn't see you mention hubs, would new 30 spline outers require that?

dbroudy said:
I'm not the original poster, but I'm in pretty much the same place.

What about an OX? They make a 30 spline d30 unit and it comes with the diff cover. I know it's newer and doesn't have quite the reputation of ARB, but it seems like they're gotten past some of their initial problems and a cable appeals to me more than air hoses.

Is a 30 spline always the same diameter? Does a Dana 30 30 spline have the same axle diameter as a Dana 44 30 spline? Maybe it's obvious, but I've haven't been able to find any info on this.

I didn't see you mention hubs, would new 30 spline outers require that?

OX is a viable solution yes. I'm not a fan of them myself, I don't like having the shifter built into the diff cover. I know a guy that runs the OX setup with good luck.

I was anti arb up until i decided to go 30 spline (i had a detroit rear and ected front), but now that I've done it (and had it installed correctly) i find its not a problem at all.

Alloy-USA has a 30 spline unit bearing setup. It uses the 2000+ unit bearings, so you may have to buy new rotors (2000+) to go with it. Small cost all things considered. It keeps the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.

Reider Racing is part of Alloy USA as is Precision, so Reider can give you gears, locker, bearings, shafts and joints (they may not have CTM joints but have the alloy usa "X-Joint") as one big package.

cal said:
Alloy-USA has a 30 spline unit bearing setup. It uses the 2000+ unit bearings, so you may have to buy new rotors (2000+) to go with it. Small cost all things considered. It keeps the 5x4.5 bolt pattern.
Are '00 and '01 unit bearings different than earlier?? excuse my ignance...:viking:

ChuckstrPT said:
Are '00 and '01 unit bearings different than earlier?? excuse my ignance...:viking:

There are 3-4 different unit bearings for XJ's, with different offsets. It just affects how the rotor is centered in the caliper - as long as the rotor matches the bearing you're good.

The 00/01 XJ has the same bearing 2000+ TJ's have, as part of the low pinion 30 package. I imagine that is why they went with that unit bearing for the 30 spline kit - more people are likely to be beefing up new tj's than old xj's.

cal said:
There are 3-4 different unit bearings for XJ's, with different offsets. It just affects how the rotor is centered in the caliper - as long as the rotor matches the bearing you're good.

The 00/01 XJ has the same bearing 2000+ TJ's have, as part of the low pinion 30 package. I imagine that is why they went with that unit bearing for the 30 spline kit - more people are likely to be beefing up new tj's than old xj's.
Interesting...so, can I use calipers from an '01 on a '96 HP D30?? And I'm guessing the rotors will not be interchangable......
Thank you for the quick info! You ARE a wealth of D30 knowledge:wave1:

ChuckstrPT said:
Interesting...so, can I use calipers from an '01 on a '96 HP D30?? And I'm guessing the rotors will not be interchangable......
Thank you for the quick info! You ARE a wealth of D30 knowledge:wave1:

there are two types of knuckes (early and late) with two typed of calipers. 96 and 01 should be the same iirc. 96 and say .. 87, wouldnt be the same.

cal said:
there are two types of knuckes (early and late) with two typed of calipers. 96 and 01 should be the same iirc. 96 and say .. 87, wouldnt be the same.
Thanks! I've got a 96 HP D30 regeared (open) sitting in the back yard waiting on the 8.25 to get locked and regeared, and I was wondering how difficult that front end swap will be.:D There is usually atleast one surprise in most of my projects:rattle:

Back