• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Core WTF!

KJR93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to replace my 93 heater core. How the hell do I get to it. Trying ever nut and bolt to get to it can't remove anything from under the dash. Do I need to remove every piece of the dash???

Please help it is cold as heck and I have to drive 3 hours to airport to pick up the misses.
KR

hate to say it but i think you need to pull the whole dash off.... its been a while but i think its a matter of a few bolts on each side of the vehicle and a few along the base of the w/sheild.. reaching back to memories of disassembling an XJ just for the hell of it..

Also on the engine side of the firewall, 4 bolts IIRC. Yea, the dash has to come out or at least rotate up out of the way.

i just did my 91 last month. you need to pull the panel on the bottom of the dash for certain. if you have air you will have to let the refridgerent out as you need to pull the ac evaporator core eventualy out of the way to get to the heater core. what was weird is the chiltons manual said i had to remove the dash but the factory service manual didn't. i pulled the dash, but afterwards, i would probly try it with out doing so. in order to pull the dash you need to pull the panel that covers the defrosters as there are several dash bolts there.i pulled the instrument fascia but i don't remember if i actually needed to or not there are two large bolts at either side of the dash and you need to drop the two main stering column bolts to make it drop easier. then pull the fan motor from the engine compartment.what basically holds the assembly in is 3 (or 4) bolts through the fire wall. there are a few screws inside these are obvious once the lower dash panel is removed. then the whole ac section of the module down down and out. once this is out of the way there are two sheet metal screws that hold the heater core in place. once removed, the core slides out towards the passenger side. i keep thinking after the fact that i may have been able to do it without moving the upper dash, but it did make it a bit easier to figure stuff out the first time. it is a pain in the butt job and took me the better part of the afternnon to do it. i never think to take pictures untill after i'm done. soory i don't have a better detail but hit me back chanel if you need better descriptions.
[email protected]

Pm me I've done it on my 97 and 01 XJ. It's an all day job. If you haven't done it before. You will spend a lot of wasted time finding the right size tools for the. Fasteners.
Dave

Back