• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D 60 brake question

heapxj

NAXJA Forum User
HI, I have a '79 f350 D60 front axle under my XJ now and I really do not like the brake setup that it came with. I know on newer axles, the caliper is held in by two pins and the caliper is one piece. My question is this, Will the newer D60 brake stuff work on my axle? I mean if I go get an 80's set of brake caliper brackets and calipers, will they work with my current rotors? ie will everything fit in the same spot as my old caliper brackets and calipers? Thanks in advance. :NAXJA:

My '79 front D60 also has the same setup (they all did). They only setup I know that changes it would be to convert it over to the Chevy 3/4 ton. Nothing that I've been able to find allows you to use the stock 1-ton Ford front caliper brackets other than other Ford parts. The 3/4 ton Chevy stuff also will allow you to run a 15" rim. Why are you looking to swap them out? If you've got the room for them there is nothing wrong with the setup... I'm using them...

EDIT: Posted to fast... stuff pretaining to rear D60s:
My bet would be that your rear '79 D60 came stock with drums (I know mine did) and that it is an after market conversion that someone (or you) set up. The most popular setup (and the setup thats in my plans) is to run 3/4 Chevy front stuff. Given that you want an ebrake, look into the Eldorado Calipers. They don't have the best setup, but it works.

There are a TON of vendors that offer conversions for either front and/or rear D60s. Yet not knowing you're current setup makes it hard, but not to hard are most of them use the above mentioned 3/4 ton Chevy stuff as it is cheap and easy to find parts.

Last edited:
RCman said:
My bet would be that you're '79 D60 came stock with drums (I know mine did) and that it is an after market conversion that someone (or you) set up. The most popular setup (and the setup thats in my plans) is to run 3/4 Chevy front stuff. Given that you want an ebrake, look into the Eldorado Calipers. They don't have the best setup, but it works.

There are a TON of vendors that offer conversions.

He is talking about a front axle... Swaping on GM D60 brakes, knuckles, spindles and outer shafts is what you are looking at...

heapxj said:
Hahaha. I'm talking about the front. My rear did have drums and it already has chevy disc stuff.

Hahaha..... You were too slow

TNT said:
He is talking about a front axle...
heapxj said:
Hahaha. I'm talking about the front. My rear did have drums and it already has chevy disc stuff.
Thanks... read to quick. Post edited.

TNT said:
Swaping on GM D60 brakes, knuckles, spindles and outer shafts is what you are looking at...
That another option. However if he converts it using one of the various kits (or makes brackets himself) to use the Chevy 3/4 rotors and calipers he can keep the Ford knuckles, spindles, outers, etc.

heapxj said:
so confused. What is the difference between the chevy stuff and say an 80 or newer ford caliper bracket?
Chevy and Ford using different mounting locations for the calipers.

Edit #2:
Pictures of the '79 Ford Front D60 Calipers:
164223.jpg

Picture of '85 Ford Front D60 Caliper:

154229.jpg

You're wanting to swap over to the second, am I correct? I see know this is what you are after...
I honestly don't know if the '85 will bolt up to the '79 stuff. From the looks of the above pictures, I'd say there is a chance. However, I also don't see much advantage one over the other. Any reason for wanting to? I don't see you gaining an wheel clearance if that's what you are after.

If you're set on it the best bet would be to head to the local parts store and see if they would let you measure the 80s version...
If you had asked this a few months ago I could have told you as I had a late 80s front Ford D60 as well, however I didn't pay much attention to the brakes as I sold it off.

Last edited:
The only real reason why I want to do this is because half of the old brake stuff was missing and the new style calipers are so easy to use. Two push pins and they're on there. With the old style, there are about 10 pieces for each side that all have to be bolted together, just a nightmare, well atleast for me.

heapxj said:
yeah I think I might go down to NAPA and do some comparing.

IF you do, post back with the results, I'd be interesting in hearing if it works. Mine are going to need to be replaced and I might as well go with the easier setup if they'll bolt up.

In the mean time, I'll keep looking for an answer... or hopefully measured drawings of them both... haha. :cool:

Back