• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

relays not working...

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I have been working on properly hooking all of my accessories together in a clean manner. I installed most of it last night and nothing.
I am at my end, I just cant figure out what I have incorrect.
I started with a power block from west marine. it holds six blade style fuses and has bolt/nut hook up for positive and negative from battery.
I wired 4 awg from battery.
power and ground off the block are all 12 awg

of the six available slots five are used
1. hella 500
2. 30 W utility light
3. Electric fan
4. cb
5. power for switches
6. empty

1,2,3 are on relays 4,5 are straight hot
None of this is locked into the ignition system as I wanted to be able to use everything but the fan (obvious I hope) when the ignition was off.
any how this super awsome ms paint is how it is wired
switches.jpg

So this is what is wrong.... NOTHING WORKS.... what have I gotten backwards here?
Thanks for the help everyone.

I have been trying to work of fitchva's website (sorry dude)

would having 86 and 85 flipped (according to 99classic's schematic) really cause any trouble. Almost forgot for the switches there are four in line basic toggles(power and grounds are daisychained). When I hook them into the harness I made... nadda. So I made a different pig tail and hooked them to the open slots on the power block. in the off position all lights were lit.???

Having 85 and 86 flipped matters if the realy has a built-in diode in parallel with the coil (clamps the spike when the coil releases). It'll pop the diode but keep working.

Can you here the relay click?? Have you tried bypassing the relay just to see if the acc's will work. If they work by bypassing the relay then i would say it either a bad relay or still something is wrong in the wiring of it. Is it getting a good connection to ground and +12 ? If all else fails take a test light and track to power to see what is stopping it.

ground and hot are both off the batt for the block.. I will try by passing the relay to see if that works. In the mean time does anyone see anything wrong with how it is wired so far?

6oe81o7.png

85 should be to a good chassis ground. A tiny amount of current flows through the relay actuator coil, oil on the connectors can mess with conductivity. Note, some relays don't have the 87a pole.

It's probable if you used crimp connectors you have the wire insulation crimed instead of the wire itself, easy to do.

Last edited:
Is the relay set to be closed when it does not have power?
By closed i mean On.
Closed Circuit = On
Open Circuit = Off

xjwisconsin said:
8MUD; Does 85 have to be grounded to the chassis? or is it ok to ground it on the powerblock as I have it? could this be part of the problem?
It doesnt matter as long as that "power block" is grounded.

As long as you have it grounded it should work.Do you have a VOM you can use to check for continuity and power?

xjwisconsin said:
Almost forgot for the switches there are four in line basic toggles(power and grounds are daisychained). When I hook them into the harness I made... nadda. So I made a different pig tail and hooked them to the open slots on the power block. in the off position all lights were lit.???
Thats not right,do you have the documentationfor the switches?

No I do not have any doc on the switches... they are just basic on off toggles (3/4 HP 120-240 VAC stamped on side). I just checked again with the pigtails. no light until I plugged in the switch wire to the relay, then constant on.
I am going to borrow a volt meter from my dad tonight. I guess that will tell me more.

Well....

let me take off my santa hat and put on my ass hat
I was installing this lastnight in the driveway while it was snowing... trying to get it all in before I leave for a trip tomorrow. I inadvertantly switched the hot and ground around when I hooked up the power block DUHHHH!!!!
Its all working great now and its good to be able to see at night again.

Happy Festivus to all

Back