• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dropping trans

chunk40

NAXJA Forum User
I am losing my mind.........I have a 95 jeep cherkee xj and cannot figure out how to drop the tranny to replace the clutch assembly...........help.......:peace:

Start with a Haynes manual!!!:shocked: If you are not sure how to remove the trans from the block maybe you should not be doing the work! Basicly you remove the drive shaft from T/C, T/C from Trans then trans from block at bellhousing. Be sure to disconnect all linkage and wiring from the T/C and Trans first. That is it in a nutshell, details can be found in aftermarket or OEM manuals. Buy some beer and invite a friend as you will need help!

get all of the bolts out of the bell housing and dont forget to un-bolt the dust sheild from the tranny. you will also need to remove the stick there's four torx bolts that hold it in. order to remove parts. dirivelines, starter, stick, crossmember, t-case, tranny. dont forget to remove line to slave get all the bolts out and pull the S.O.B. good luck oh and i hope you know to drain every thing first.

mjdavis31 said:
good luck oh and i hope you know to drain every thing first.
x2 from experience! Gear oil smells awful when the whole trans drains on your garage floor. I guess it smells awful either way actually.

Back