• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cherokees that didn't come with a/c

much boredom

NAXJA Forum User
My a/c compressor is making a weird noise and im thinking its a bearing that went bad. Since my a/c doesn't work and I dont care for it im just getting tired of the noise. I was wondering in Xj's that didn't come with a/c did they just use a shorter belt and skip that pulley? Or have a dumby pulley in that place?

most auto stores stock the bypass pulley for the pre-97 XJ's with a 6 cyl. i couldnt find any stores, and even local dealers that had a 97-01 6cyl bypass pulley. i was gonna get one for a ZJ and make it fit, but eventually just caved in and got another compressor.

:skull2:

brak said:
most auto stores stock the bypass pulley for the pre-97 XJ's with a 6 cyl. i couldnt find any stores, and even local dealers that had a 97-01 6cyl bypass pulley. i was gonna get one for a ZJ and make it fit, but eventually just caved in and got another compressor.

:skull2:

(Signed in under my brother's name - on his computer)

Looks like I'm going to have to do the same thing - hit every parts store in town and searched Ebay, Google, etc and have no luck. I could be waist deep in pre-97 bypass pulleys if I wanted though!!

So, has anyone just bought a shorter belt and bypassed the A/C? From the looks of it, I'd get plenty of wrap on the alternator, but I'm worried about the water pump pulley. I also don't want to add any extra side force to the alternator pulley - not sure if that'd really be an issue or not - having the belt pull tight on just that one pulley whereas it use to pull on two.

Back