• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"CHEAP Jeep"

Wiser

NAXJA Forum User
hi everyone, im sure there are a billion threads like this but oh well. I just started a new job and still live with my partents, so now i have some cash to put into my xj. I have a 98 XJ SPORT 4WD with a 3" lift, 8.25 rearend and a dana 30 front. This is my daily driver so i still want it driveable for the highway. I'd like to drop maybe 3-4k into it, over a 4 month period of time. For the suspension id like to go 6" and run 33" tires. what are some of the things i could do to make it my dd and a trail rig but keeping in mind the budget? thanx..

Re-gear your axles to 4.56's and get a slip yoke eliminator. Then worry about lifting and tires.

spudly said:
Re-gear your axles to 4.56's and get a slip yoke eliminator. Then worry about lifting and tires.
How bad is the gas mileage with 4.56? if i go 6" of lift would the cv driveshaft change in length?

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
How bad is the gas mileage with 4.56? if i go 6" of lift would the cv driveshaft change in length?

Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are worried about gas mileage in a jeep.......don't do ANYTHING ELSE TO IT!!!

That said, the 4.56's for 33's is a must. I have 33's with stock 3.55 gears and it SUCKS. The trans constantly downshifts even on level road. I have the RE XJLA lift with about 5.5-6" lift and don't have a SYE andits not too bad but I heard the newer XJ's are more sensitive. Check out TnT's U-bolt eliminator for a good way to get toward your 6" without buying new springs (along with there 1.5" boomerang shackles) then go with ACOS up front or new coils (or both). It should not even take $4k to do it and you could look toward lockers or LSD with the savings.

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
For the suspension id like to go 6" and run 33" tires. what are some of the things i could do to make it my dd and a trail rig but keeping in mind the budget? thanx..
Buy used parts whenever you can and learn how to search junkyards for wrecked lifted vehicles. You might find springs, rock rails, armor, shocks, etc..

If I did it all over from the start, I'd buy a hybrid kit or just individual components in order to get the best that each company offers. A 4.5" lift and 33" tires make a perfectly versatile rig. Many newbies who started with a budget boost or a 3" lift eventually got bitten by inchitis and ended up relifting their rigs. 33" tires will allow you to run about 95% of all trails in California and still let your wife or girlfriend climb into your Jeep.

I would get:

For the rear leaf packs, SoCalXJ.com guys receive special pricing on a custom designed 10-leaf spring from National. It's a great product and gives about 5.5" of lift. Get shackles from Rusty's or JKS. Front coils from Rubicon Express.

Of course you'll also need swaybar disconnects. While many manufacturers include them in their kits, most of us generally agree the best are made by JKS. BTW, while you've got them on the phone, you might as well order their Super Nerf rock rails. Unless you really feel like gambling, your rocker panel is going to need protection and the Super Nerfs are the best.

And if you're going that high, you *are* going to need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and new rear drive shaft. Older XJs could often be lifted without incurring any driveline vibrations. Newer XJs, 1997+ most always exhibit vibrations on mild lifts and it's pretty much guaranteed to happen on 4.5" and higher. Which kit you should get depends on which transfer case you have. If you have a NP231, get a heavy duty kit from Advanced Adapters or JB Conversions. If you have a NP242, get a Hack 'N Tap kit from Rubicon Express because nobody makes a real heavy duty tailshaft for the 242.

You'll also need a good heavy duty trackbar and drop bracket. Also, you may want to consider adding drop brackets for the lower control arms. Those will restore the streetability of a vehicle that's lifted 4.5". Rubicon Express. And you will need new, longer shocks.

Getting a kit is an easy way of getting most of the components you'll need. Mixing and matching ensures you'll get the best available and only have to buy lift parts once.

If you want to put 33" tires on you rig, then you will need to re-gear both axles. And if you're going to open up your axles to change gears, you might as well install lockers front and rear. Open axles are what keep most rigs from successfully navigating a trail. And you will need 8" wide tires with the correct backspacing to fit those tires.

You see where I'm going with all of this? Once you start, it's a lot of money to finish. I don't want to scare you, but I do want you to be well informed on what all is needed just to put 33" tires on a Cherokee. The front coils and rear leaves are the easy part. It's everything else that you will need that most newbies don't think of or bother to factor in to their budget. Consider buying used parts to keep the costs down. Many people get their own case of inchitis and are selling their old lift parts. Get used tires and wheels until you get used to your rig or can afford to re-gear. Remember that unless you re-gear, bigger tires will cause you rig to drive like a dog.

Expect 12-15 mph on the street on 33s. A lifted XJ is a big, heavy brick with no aerodynamic help.

Andy

silverslk said:
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you are worried about gas mileage in a jeep.......don't do ANYTHING ELSE TO IT!!!

That said, the 4.56's for 33's is a must. I have 33's with stock 3.55 gears and it SUCKS. The trans constantly downshifts even on level road. I have the RE XJLA lift with about 5.5-6" lift and don't have a SYE andits not too bad but I heard the newer XJ's are more sensitive. Check out TnT's U-bolt eliminator for a good way to get toward your 6" without buying new springs (along with there 1.5" boomerang shackles) then go with ACOS up front or new coils (or both). It should not even take $4k to do it and you could look toward lockers or LSD with the savings.

Aww i most certainly know the gas milage will go to shit, i was just wondering how bad?

Andy Steiner said:
Buy used parts whenever you can and learn how to search junkyards for wrecked lifted vehicles. You might find springs, rock rails, armor, shocks, etc..

If I did it all over from the start, I'd buy a hybrid kit or just individual components in order to get the best that each company offers. A 4.5" lift and 33" tires make a perfectly versatile rig. Many newbies who started with a budget boost or a 3" lift eventually got bitten by inchitis and ended up relifting their rigs. 33" tires will allow you to run about 95% of all trails in California and still let your wife or girlfriend climb into your Jeep.

I would get:

For the rear leaf packs, SoCalXJ.com guys receive special pricing on a custom designed 10-leaf spring from National. It's a great product and gives about 5.5" of lift. Get shackles from Rusty's or JKS. Front coils from Rubicon Express.

Of course you'll also need swaybar disconnects. While many manufacturers include them in their kits, most of us generally agree the best are made by JKS. BTW, while you've got them on the phone, you might as well order their Super Nerf rock rails. Unless you really feel like gambling, your rocker panel is going to need protection and the Super Nerfs are the best.

And if you're going that high, you *are* going to need a Slip Yoke Eliminator and new rear drive shaft. Older XJs could often be lifted without incurring any driveline vibrations. Newer XJs, 1997+ most always exhibit vibrations on mild lifts and it's pretty much guaranteed to happen on 4.5" and higher. Which kit you should get depends on which transfer case you have. If you have a NP231, get a heavy duty kit from Advanced Adapters or JB Conversions. If you have a NP242, get a Hack 'N Tap kit from Rubicon Express because nobody makes a real heavy duty tailshaft for the 242.

You'll also need a good heavy duty trackbar and drop bracket. Also, you may want to consider adding drop brackets for the lower control arms. Those will restore the streetability of a vehicle that's lifted 4.5". Rubicon Express. And you will need new, longer shocks.

Getting a kit is an easy way of getting most of the components you'll need. Mixing and matching ensures you'll get the best available and only have to buy lift parts once.

If you want to put 33" tires on you rig, then you will need to re-gear both axles. And if you're going to open up your axles to change gears, you might as well install lockers front and rear. Open axles are what keep most rigs from successfully navigating a trail. And you will need 8" wide tires with the correct backspacing to fit those tires.

You see where I'm going with all of this? Once you start, it's a lot of money to finish. I don't want to scare you, but I do want you to be well informed on what all is needed just to put 33" tires on a Cherokee. The front coils and rear leaves are the easy part. It's everything else that you will need that most newbies don't think of or bother to factor in to their budget. Consider buying used parts to keep the costs down. Many people get their own case of inchitis and are selling their old lift parts. Get used tires and wheels until you get used to your rig or can afford to re-gear. Remember that unless you re-gear, bigger tires will cause you rig to drive like a dog.

Expect 12-15 mph on the street on 33s. A lifted XJ is a big, heavy brick with no aerodynamic help.

Andy
thanx for all that info andy

well is there any 6" lifts out there that are fairly reasonable in price? i dont plan to put it on just yet because id like to get everything i need such as tires, SYE & CV Driveshafts, gears and lockers.

Anthony,
I agree with Andy. Shop & Search.
As I told you earlier when you called, be patient and start looking for used stuff on the boards. As Andy said Guys are always upgrading, and good used stuff is always out there. Its hard, but as your buying parts think in terms of "package".
What I mean by that is when you make a change, or modification, how many other upgrades need to go with it.
Take your time in looking for deals, and compiling parts.

Don't forget the smaller "non sexy stuff" that adds up too. Like recovery points,
Hi Lift jack, fire extinguisher, firstaid kit....You get the idea.

Here....I'll save you the trouble.

Give me your 3K and I'll trade you for my 97. 6 inch lift, 35's, forged shafts, 4.56 gears, locker and a winch :D

I'll even buy you some new 33's if thats what you really wanted.
6jpk4fc.jpg

WTH? I thought you sold this awhile back?

spudly said:
WTH? I thought you sold this awhile back?
yeah i saw this rig on a previous rig, i thought he sold it too...:huh:

Anthony's_98_XJ said:
well is there any 6" lifts out there that are fairly reasonable in price? i dont plan to put it on just yet because id like to get everything i need such as tires, SYE & CV Driveshafts, gears and lockers.

You could always go 6 inch Rough Country lift, they are very reasonably priced. Just don't tell anyone if you do that, you'll be flamed for 5 days lol. That's not exactly the brand of choice around here.

Skwerly said:
You could always go 6 inch Rough Country lift, they are very reasonably priced. Just don't tell anyone if you do that, you'll be flamed for 5 days lol. That's not exactly the brand of choice around here.
thats wut i keep hearing, the forums here are fickle people say theyre good and ppl say they're not?:helpme:

Yea but you already got an xj I gotta find a replacement mine got totaled

s7tech said:
Yea but you already got an xj I gotta find a replacement mine got totaled
hmmmm, true dat...hahah but this one is set up! lol

Back