• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modify a stock gas tank skid

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
Has any one beefed up a stock gas tank skid ? I am looking to make a stock one stronger. Would just reinforcing the lowest part with 1/8" over the bottom surface be enough, or should the sides be beefed up too ? I am talking about welding plates to the original stock skid. What do you all think ?

Its on a '99 by the way.

Thanks

Has it been done?....yes! Will it be strong enough?....depends on your "wheeling" style. My best advice....remove it before welding! :explosion :doh:

I think an often overlooked method of beefing things up is coating it with Linex - that stuff is seriously strong - especially for the low weight. I'm not sure of its impact properties and what happens when it reaches the limit as far as whether its just brittle and cracks, but I think the addtition of a little more welded plate together with Linex would make it pretty strong. I have yet to install my Skid Row but I can't help thinking the thing is seriously too heavy and that something like the above could be better. But I haven't wheeled hardcore in rocks.. just my thought.

i think the sides would only need a few areas beefed up...such as having a stronger mounting point, I would deffinatly beef up the bottom and making channels or a joist like system on the inside of the skid plate I doubt you would ever rip through it, but you might bend it

I always planned to add 1/8" plate to mine, but last labor day I came down on it so hard I thought the windows would blow out.

It barely dented the stock skid. Not even a dent, really. I'd probably call it a hard scuff.

The stock skid is a lot tougher than I thought, and that 1/8" plate moved way down on my list of priorities...

Robert

The stock skid (and tank) on my '87 are crushed in so far, i can barely put 13 gallons in my tank from empty - I used to get 19-21 into it.

I've seen guys weld 1/8th plate to the bottom in strips, seems to hold up pretty well.

cal said:
The stock skid (and tank) on my '87 are crushed in...

The actual steel skid? Not just the cheesy plastic guard?

I won't call you a liar, but that really surprises me. I think that would take a LOT of abuse, more than the rest of the jeep would take very well...

But hey, your mileage, as they say...

Robert

I came down on my stock skid pretty decent outside of Moab - loud enough to make me white-knuckle and get out to check. I couldn't see where it had hit. Stock skid seems beef to me - I'd be quite surprised if anyone managed to crush it in That badly.
adding steel never hurt anything I know of, though...

Robert 771 said:

I won't call you a liar, but that really surprises me. I think that would take a LOT of abuse, more than the rest of the jeep would take very well...

Robert

I think its the culmination of 3.5 years of abuse, several JV, Rubicon Trail and trips to other such places with little regard for sheet metal. ;) Its not that I don't care persay, I bought this rig to drive and not to look at.

Before I added just plate the to the bottom, I think I would (as I plan too) add 3-4 runners of small angle "iron", that would give it much more strength than just plate.

Mine has small angle runners, then 1/8" plate over those, with more 1/8" strips welded on as "skids" No probs so far....

Robert 771 said:

Robert

I went out to rinse the jeep off this morning to do some quick wrenching. On the way out I grabbed the cam and shot a few pics of the tank. It doesnt look as bad in photos as it does in person (what does?) but it will give you an idea of how bad it is. I think the tank is crushed up a bit further than the skid is too.

Forgive the pics not being very finished, I have a lot to do today. :)

http://www.shadowco.org/~cal/temp/xmasjeep/

That looks like the plastic skid to me. But I could be wrong.
:cheers:

You guys leave Echo Kitten alone!

He's adorable .. in a short bus wears a helmet sort of way.

echo2.jpg

Back