• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you re-gear one axle at a time?

Kilted XJer

NAXJA Forum User
If I left it in 2WD, could I regear just my d30 until I get the $ for the rear (currently 3.55 looking to go 4.56)? Would I have to pull the front DS? If I had to use 4WD, what would happen?

Kilted XJer said:
If I left it in 2WD, could I regear just my d30 until I get the $ for the rear (currently 3.55 looking to go 4.56)? Would I have to pull the front DS? If I had to use 4WD, what would happen?
No, it won't work. And if you did it and used 4wd your transfer case would make a noise you don't want to hear and immediately implode.

Ok... As it is right now, I've got a busted pinion bearing in my d30. My front DS is already pulled. I don't make a lot of money. I figured with the DS off, I could just regear the front now, instead of paying for the labor twice. Then I could save up and get the rear geared to match later. My only concern is that being that it's winter, I may NEED 4WD in an emergency situation.

Yes, you can do it. Leave it in 2WD. Cheap insurance would be to just pull the front driveshaft (as mentioned,) eliminating the possibility of going into 4WD and binding the transfer case. Can you say "grenade"? I knew you could...

Considering it's easy to pull the front driveshaft; just re-gear the rear, put the front DS in the garage, and wait until you get the scratch to finish the job. Problem solved.

No matter how much you tell yourself you'll remember; it's a cinch that you'll forget...

I did my rear before my front. Just don't put it in 4wd.

I drove around for 9 months with a 4.88 rear and 4.56 front, while I funded and built a new front axle. I had the driveshaft in for about half of that, and removed it trying to troubleshoot some vibes, but for no other reason.

IslanderOffRoad said:
I did my rear before my front. Just don't put it in 4wd.

Same here.

Just don't put in 4wd at all or you have this happen to your Tcase. This was somebody's I had to fix that used 4wd on a dry highway at 70. 2000 dakota v6 was the truck.
2523955_63_full.jpg

Ya my friend bought a YJ last summer and the previous owner for some reason put different geared axles in it, and never told him. He would use it on the beach and he kept complaining about his 4wd not working properly. He pulled onto the pavement to go up to the parking lot one time, and screwed up both axles and the t-case.

Don't use 4wd on the road. I know its winter and you want your 4wd, which is why I haven't thrown my D44 with 4.56 in the rear yet because I don't have the money for the front yet and I don't want to lose 4wd capabilities. Seeing as you don't have a front DS in right now, you won't be able to use your 4wd anyways, so regearing to fix that pinion bearing might not be too bad.

Begster said:
What would running just the outer shafts and no front DS accomplish?

I think he was referring to the OP who has a busted pinion bearing. To keep the pinion from turning he would need to remove the inner shafts and to make sure he didnt accidentally slip it into 4WD, remove the DS.

Just dont shift into 4wd. put razor blades on the handle or something. Also absolutely no reason to pull shafts. Its redundant and retarded.

Oh, I see whats hes saying now. I was thinking of the person saying what if they needed their 4wd, and I was wondering how that would help with 4wd. Makes sense now, and not too bad of an idea, just take a lot of work.

I missed that. Ya you could do that or just pull out the carrier and take off the ring gear and not have to mess with ujoints and that crap.

Back