• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX-15 problems?

Hackmeister

NAXJA Forum User
So just today driving down the highway my Jeep decides to start lurching once in a while, mainly above 50mph or so. It was a sporadic lurch, and would mainly do it on acceleration, not while decelerating or going down hills. I have a feeling it may be my tranny wanting to begin to go out on me, as it definately felt like the lurch was beginning from the transmission area. I'm currently running Redline MT90 in the transmissison but I'm pretty sure before I put that in a few months ago it was likely the wrong oil in there (likely a GL-5) that had never been changed.
I've pretty much ruled out the clutch because when it lurched the engine did not rev up - it stayed steady rpms the whole time.
I hope I won't have to put in a new and or rebuilt transmission, but if I do I'll just make sure I won't get hosed from any shops since I don't have the time nor capabilities to swap transmissisons in the street in two feet of snow.

Any ideas anyone?

Play nice, now... -Ed

Last edited by a moderator:
has your CPS ever been replaced?

I doubt it. I got absolutely no maintenance records when I bought the Jeep so I just assume it's not been taken care of well. Would a faulty CPS cause bucking at highway speeds? That would be a lot easier to replace than rebuilding a tranny!

Dump a 20 oz bottle of Chevron Techron FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER, not fuel injection cleaner, fuel system cleaner. There is a higher concentration of cleaner in the fuel system cleaner than the FI cleaner so there is a difference, 2000PPM vs 8000ppm. See what happens with that. It could just be bad gas or even some water in there, it's not a good idea to let your tank get down below 3/4 and sit over nite, you end up with condensation in there.

OK I'll try that as well. My first thought was it was potentially bad gas, since I got it from some random gas station going snowboarding so their gas would have been sitting longer than a more populated area. I have a new gas tank and therefore filter less than 8 months ago since the old one leaked at the seam. I'll also maybe use this as an excuse to give it a tune up - plugs, wires, distributor cap, etc.

Hackmeister said:
I doubt it. I got absolutely no maintenance records when I bought the Jeep so I just assume it's not been taken care of well. Would a faulty CPS cause bucking at highway speeds? That would be a lot easier to replace than rebuilding a tranny!

That was the first system of mine... i would call it more of a surge than a buck though. That was followed by intermittent stalling while driving, then it woudln't start when warm.

Back