• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will I still have vibes?

outlander

NAXJA Forum User
89xj 4.0 5speed. 5.5 inch re lift. jb conversions sye.

I measured my pinion angle today and there is a 10* difference between it and the ds angle.I should go with a 6* shim right?6* is the biggest shim available?
There will still be a 4* difference after will I still have vibes?Shooting for 2*....

Last edited:
you can stack shims if you must. I had a similar measurement on mine when I did the SYE and I found that when you adjust the pinion angle is also affects the DS angle so when you raise the pinion you are also decreasing the DS angle because they are connected. make sense?

I didn't think about stacking shims....so I would want 2- 4* shims(8* total)??
Or would 6* suffice?
I was thinking that the ds angle would be less after shimming......so I know what you're saying.

What size shim did you use or did you stack?What size lift are you on?

oh I didn't know re made a 8* shim....thanks for the link.
I understand that the ds angle will change after shimming so I'm a little confused on what size I need.By my logic 8* is what I need that way the pinion angle will be 2* below the ds angle to account for axle wrap.
So what does everyone think based on my above measurements 8* or 6*?

Last edited:
i would say 8 degree because of axle wrap when the axle is under torque like you said.

if you were off by more than 2 degrees you'll most likely get vibes...

Well,you are going to get about x1.5 net change,@ a 6* shim will net 9* of change!

As you rotate the pinion up,you are also moving the driveshaft up(decreasing its angle).

thats what I thought you were talking about.....and I realize that would happen.I understand.....that by adjusting the pinion up it decreases the ds angle.
What is the formula you used to determine that a 6* shim will give you 9* of change?

edit:nevermind.....it just hit me in the head.So by that logic a 4*shim will net around 6* ?
and a 9* shim will actually net around 13.5*?

I hate geometry!!!

Last edited:
go with 8 degree, it will probably change the DS angle by only a degree, putting you about one under. you're only raising one end of the DS by maybe a 1/4 of an inch. Think of the degree change in raising one end of a 33 inch shaft...

yeah, and trial and error is typically what happens... they say you want it facing the output yoke, so do that first, if not you can always go down to the 6 degree.

see thats what I'm trying to wrap my brain around.I was setting here imagining how much the ds angle will change in relation to the pinion angle change......and I was comming to the conclusion that the ds angle wouldn't change too much.

I would like to get this right the first time around and avoid buying multiple shims.Don't want to seem like I'm !!!1

Some say I need 6* and some say 8*......
Also I am worried about starving the pinion bearing with an 8* shim.Does anyone know how far a c8.25 can be shimmed without the possibility of pinion starvation?

Last edited:
Back