• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No ABS = Chrysler 8.25 ?

No ABS could mean either a D35 or 8.25. More accurately, if you have an 8.25, you dont have ABS (although some have claimed to have both, I havent seen photo evidence of it).
Im not sure what year 199g is but if the Jeep was manufactured late in 96 or after and it has an 8.25, it is a 29 spline which is considerably stronger than a D35. Even if it has a 27 spline, the housing and carrier are still quite a bit stronger than a D35, even if the shafts arent.

On my 98 model year if it had an 8.25 in there you did not get abs, also if you ordered a limited slip rear that would also cancel abs. Generally if it had a D35 and was above an SE model I found that the ones on the lot all had abs. The fastest way is to pop the hood and see if the abs controller is in there vs a simple master cylinder to a brake line block.
The D35 is round cover, the 8.25 is flat on the bottom.

Jeepkid91 said:
1996..sorry!!!
yea, I got that now;)
Without ABS, it may or may not have an 8.25.
Being A 96, if it does have an 8.25, it may or may not be a 29 spline 8.25 depending on when it was made.
Sorry, not much help there. You'll just have to crawl under and take a look at the diff to know if its a D35 or 8.25 and then remove the diff cover and pull a shaft to know for sure if its a 29 or 27 spline.

I am on my son's screen name here. He has a 95 XJ and I am looking at this
XJ by trading my 1998 Dakota CC 4x4 for it. It has 85,000 original miles 6cyl auto with this
Lifted 3.5" Rubicon Express kit, new JKS adjustable track bar, 32" BFG AT with 80% tread left wrapped around American Racing rims, new front brakes and rotors 4 thousand miles ago, brand new black carpet with mats, new poineer head unit with four speakers, new front winch bumper from OR-Fab with 8 thousand pound mile marker winch and 2 sets of auxiliary lights, 2" hidden hitch receiver w/ 4 pin light connection. Brand new cat converter and flowmaster exhaust. Bought it with 70k miles on it, well maintained, engine runs strong, transmission shifts smooth, A/C recharged this summer, heat working great. Great off road vehicle, a lot of traction in snow, very fun, 4.0 liter high output inline six is powerful and quick.
Features
Driver Air Bag
Air Conditioning
Alloy Wheels
AM/FM Radio
CD Player
AM/FM Stereo Cassette
Power Steering

So I was checking things out on it from what I know. Needs a paint job though...

Jeepkid91 said:
Those pic are definetly helpful..thanks. Any opinions on the overall truck?

Owning one, In hind sight, I would stay away from the 96. Too many issues with buying parts. Depending on what day, week, month it was built, I have prob's w/ getting the right parts, the 1st time. And that's w/giving them my VIN.

TJs came with D35s, unless you got a special package like the 60th edition, Rocky Mountain Edition, or Rubicon, which came with D44s

ia green96 said:
Owning one, In hind sight, I would stay away from the 96. Too many issues with buying parts. Depending on what day, week, month it was built, I have prob's w/ getting the right parts, the 1st time. And that's w/giving them my VIN.

What Auto Parts store do you go to? ome of them :jester: have a hard time even if you HAND them the part!!! :confused:

Jeepkid91 said:
What Auto Parts store do you go to? ome of them :jester: have a hard time even if you HAND them the part!!! :confused:

I even have the factory parts catilog on cd for a 96, and look it up first, so when I call anywhere, I have the Chrysler # for them. They still fock it up.

Anyway back on topic.

Begster said:
TJs came with D35s, unless you got a special package like the 60th edition, Rocky Mountain Edition, or Rubicon, which came with D44s

The D44 was available as an option on all TJs except the SE and the X and it was standard on the Rubicon. The D44 didnt have ABS, only the D35 models had ABS.

Last edited:
ia green96 said:
I even have the factory parts catilog on cd for a 96, and look it up first, so when I call anywhere, I have the Chrysler # for them. They still fock it up.

Anyway back on topic.

The problem isnt so much with the store, its because 96 was a changover year for many parts on the XJ so some 96s will have the older parts and some will have newer parts and the VIN doesnt tell you exactly what has what. My 96 is the same way. From what Ive encountered so far, the power and drive train uses 97 and up parts and the body uses 96 and down parts.

Ray H said:
The problem isnt so much with the store, its because 96 was a changover year for many parts on the XJ so some 96s will have the older parts and some will have newer parts and the VIN doesnt tell you exactly what has what. My 96 is the same way. From what Ive encountered so far, the power and drive train uses 97 and up parts and the body uses 96 and down parts.

Well, that might be helpfull to know. Do you know offhand what month your's was built? This maybe why the local part stores keep sending me the wrong parts.

ia green96 said:
Well, that might be helpfull to know. Do you know offhand what month your's was built? This maybe why the local part stores keep sending me the wrong parts.

I think I stated in a previous thread that mine was made in oct of 96. I stand corrected, I just went out to double check and it wss actually built in Sept. of 96.

Ray H said:
I think I stated in a previous thread that mine was made in oct of 96. I stand corrected, I just went out to double check and it wss actually built in Sept. of 96.

I just checked myself, Jan of 06, so I think I'm screwed on the driveline. Prolly the 27 spline axle?

Back