• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick size check on pitman arm.

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
What size socket is the bolt on the pitman arm? I know it's bigger than 1 and 1/8th b/c that's the largest i've got and it's too small.

Thanks in advance.

anyone??????? I'm waiting to go pick up this socket....

I just use a big crescent wrench. Don't know what size socket it is.

anyone know the actual size?

You aint got a tape measure?

well, I couldn't find a socket anywhere that fit it... So i got a crescent wrench. Except now I can't get the ****** to budge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have leverage?

well it's a damn crescent wrench so i can't get my iron pipe around it... hence why I'm pissed no one had the socket or I would have had a 2 foot longer radius to use.

TSC has emm... aint there a couple in charlotte.

Somebody has that size. ie sears, napa, AZ

I just used a beast impact gun, came right off. The pitman arm coming right off is another story.

How much lift? whats your set up? Maybe you are fine using your stock unit.

it's cool now. I remembered that heat makes **** expand haha. Torched the hell out of it then used the crescent wrench and it came right off.

I had a pitman arm puller rented, but AZ gave me one that looks like it's for a gokart. The thing doesn't remotely fit on my arm.

oh yeah, and it's 5 inches of lift so the stock one isn't gonna fly... Too much bump steer. It almost scares the **** out of you on the highway b/c you lose a ton of traction each time you hit a bump.

Play nice. Believe me, I understand your frustration - but keep it cool, OK?

Bear in mind also that, while someone probably does know the answer to your question - whatever it may be - offhand, that person may not come online straight away after you ask. I find it helpful to allow 24-36 hours for a response. A question like this can be answered quickly with a tape, a scale, or a caliper tho - if you don't have any of those, get them! They're literally too useful to not have...

If you haven't dropped your track bar,nor raised your draglink, then you shouldn't be getting bump steer.

A stock pitman arm on a standard adj. trackbar will work well with 5" of lift. I'd be more worried about my Control Arm setup then dropping my pitman an inch..................

RyanM said:
If you haven't dropped your track bar,nor raised your draglink, then you shouldn't be getting bump steer.

A stock pitman arm on a standard adj. trackbar will work well with 5" of lift. I'd be more worried about my Control Arm setup then dropping my pitman an inch..................
X2

RyanM said:

X3!

In fact, using a drop pitman, with the stock"ish" trackbar setup, generally creates bumpsteer instead of helping it. Are you running OTK steering or something? If so, you need to move the axle side TB mount up, not drop the pitman.

Take a pic good level pic of your steering and TB from the front. Go into paint, photoshop, etc... and draw a 2 straight lines through the mounting points of the draglink and the trackbar. You want the lines to run parallel to each other, and preferably, each should be about the same length.

For example, this is a old pic of mine at about 5". You can see in this pic, a drop pitman arm would actually hurt the geometry. That pic is with the stock pittman arm and (cough) a Rusty's HD TB and mount, and the angles are already off some.
steering.jpg

Last edited:
Back