• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping Axles

Jeep_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of swapping the front Dana30 on a 99 XJ w/ one from a 97' XJ, how hard would this be to do? I would be swapping the whole thing so I'm guessing it should be pretty straight forward? The reason I'm swapping them is the axle on the 99' needs work (bearings, u-joints...etc.) so I would be better off switching them as the 97' has new bearings and joints. Is there a writeup on this somewhere? Can it be done in my driveway? Thanks!

why not just swap the axles,bearings as an assembly into your existing housing? like a 1 hour job

bcmaxx said:
why not just swap the axles,bearings as an assembly into your existing housing? like a 1 hour job
Depends on what "bearings" hes talking about. If its the unit bearings, yes swapping just the axle shafts and unit bearings would be easier. If hes talking about the carrier or pinion bearings, then the whole axle would be easier.

Search "front axle swap" front swap, dana 30, it's pretty much un-bolt one and bolt in another. Just make sure that the gear ratio is the same that you have in the rear or you will be in for an expensive suprise when you engage 4wd.

Thanks for the help! I think I am going to just swap the bearings on both sides. Do I need the shafts? Is there a write up on the bearings? I have a pretty good understanding on how to change them but would like to make sure.

you'll want to change the whole thing - unit bearings and shafts...otherwise, you'll have to re-do the U joints....

Here is a good write up Canman did on installing an Aussie in his D30, I know your not doing this, but you can use the first couple of steps on how to remove the hub assemblies, because this is what you will be doing.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=99710&highlight=spider+gear+install

The hubs will be hard to get off, but the best bet is to go to your dealership, get 3 new bolts for the hubs. Unscrew the current bolts so they are loose, but leave them threaded partially in, and take a mallet and wack the crap out of them to dislodge the hub. Unscrew the other side, and screw in the 3 bolts you wack the crap out of, since they will be messed up, and do the same for the other side.

Jeep_XJ said:
So I can't just swap the bearings?
Hell of a lot easier just to switch the full hub assemblies.

So it is ok if I just change the bearing/hub assembly? I won't have to mess w/ the u-joints, correct?
1. remove wheel
2. remove rotor/caliper
3. remove the 3 bolts holding the hub on and do the opposite to put it back together?

Correct.
This is what they will look like.
Broken6.jpg

I got the 3 bolts on the back of the hub off, and tried hammering them to get the hub dislodged but it isn't moving. I don't have to remove the axle nut if I am swapping the shafts also, correct? How do I get the hubs off?

The hubs are going to take a lot of persuasion to come off if they've never been off before or if you live up north. Trust me, I've annihilated dust shields taking them off.

Best bet is a slide hammer or an air hammer. Soak with PB for a while as well.

Although I have heard of starting it up, turning the wheel to full lock on one side and popping them off using bolts or some process? Someone might have more info on that.

MoparManiac said:
Best bet is a slide hammer or an air hammer. Soak with PB for a while as well.
Actually, not really. I got no where with this method. Easiest way is hammering on the 3 bolts in the back. Its off now though.

This is the one from the 1997:
97xj.jpg

This is the one from the 1999:
99xj.jpg

Are they the same? I notice that there are gear teeth on the one from the 99. Will it still work?

Thats the ABS Tone ring, I see no reason it wouldn't work, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think if you take some measurements you will notice a difference in the depth of the mounting surfaces. Im not sure if this will cause you problems with the brake calipers or not. Im pretty sure that when you order brake discs, you will have to get discs for the axles you installed. Hopefully someone who knows the differences between hubs and knuckles, better then I, can jump in here.

Back