• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 5.5 longarm, Shortarm ???

94jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I always do my homework before posting here on the forum. You guys have always been so helpfull so I figured I would ask. I understand why the longarm setup is better for the rocks and offroad but my ? is how longarm setups compare to shortarm setups on the street. I drive my rig to the trails. It is currently sitting on 31s and I plan to moveup to 35s and finally swap in my d44 rear this spring. I always get pointed back to the basic 5.5 RE kit with dropbrackets. Anyone have experience with is setup on the street? Thanks all!

generally speaking, a long-arm kit will ride much better than a short-arm setup...this all has to do with the angles at which the arms meet the frame...

with that said, the steeper the angle, the more you'll feel the road

if you want to go with the short-arm kit, there are many manufacturers that offer drop brackets to improve the angles, but all in all it's hard to beat a long-arm setup for both ride and off-road capabilities

good luck

i have RE brackets and 4.5" coils w/ACOS on the front of my MJ and it rides better than it did at 3.5" w/o drop brackets...

they bring the control arm geometry closer to stock so it will ride and handle a lot better...

i just recently went from 4.5 to approx 6" lift. after changing everything but the short arms the thing rides like a tank. needless to say i have long arms on the way. from what i've researched it will ride 100% better once installed. i think it is TNT's web page that has a FAQ portion that kind of explains the qeometry and such so that it makes alot of sence why with the angles and the axle pushed back towards the cab they tend to ride like hell.

You will notice the gain from longarms or drop brackets FAR MORE on the street than you will offroad.

Doing nothing more than bolting on the drop brackets and putting on some new shocks, takes your rig from riding like a skateboard to riding like a towncar.

I have the RE 5.5 with drop brackets. Mine is the complete kit. So far, no complaints on the Road. I am sure a long arm with do better offroad. But my experiences with this kit, left me smiling.

Overall, love it. I think you will be happy with the drop brackets if you go that route.

how many people here run over 4.5" on short arms. I have been intrested in using the RC 6.5" kit since I am on a budget. How bad is the street ride? Does it just ride like and old 1 ton truck or is it really that bad?

It's personal preference. I chose long arms and cut off the old brackets so there is way back now. I also don't see anything wrong with the short arm as long as you buy the RE 5.5 kit that has the supplied drop brakets. Or any kit as far as thats concerned. Just don't go that tall without drop brakets and your good.

bandit455 said:
how many people here run over 4.5" on short arms. I have been intrested in using the RC 6.5" kit since I am on a budget. How bad is the street ride? Does it just ride like and old 1 ton truck or is it really that bad?

If you look at your front suspension, when it compresses, the axle moves forward. When you have that much lift on short arms, the arms are 'down' and 'back' so far that it really -doesnt- want to move forward. It binds up and every bump is like you were on a skateboard.

It really is that bad. Do it right the first time, or you'll be kicking yourself when you do it right later.

I think I will go the drop bracket route, I can always upgrade to the tnt LA setup and sale the drop brackets later on. Plus I still can run the RE coils.

Most long arm kits (all?) are radius arms; just like the old Fords.
As a radius arm suspension compresses/extends, caster changes significantly more than it does with a 3 or 4-link suspension, under the same conditions.
A short arm 4-link, with drop brackets has better geometry than a radius arm set up, and rides just as well on the high way; but, the wheels will move forward and back more than the long arm, during max articulation off-road.
In my opinion, the best is a long arm 3-link front set up, such as Rock Krawler sells, or like a couple of the guys, here on NAXJA, have built.

Back