• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to remove the console over the gear selector

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a 96 cherokee with an automatic. how do i remove the plastic "console" that covers the gear shift. i'm having a problem removing it from around the transfer case selector.

is the 98 and 96 the same? how do you get the handles off to remove the cover completly

Last edited:
The Tee handle on the gearshift selector comes of by lifting it straight up as XJBanker suggests. It is held on strictly by friction. It might help to tap on it gently underneath with a mallet or hammer while you pull.

It is not necessary to remove the handle of the 4wd selector. Pry out the plastic inserts for both selectors and remove the screws -- I believe there are two, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The T-Handles on all the Cherokees are just clipped on.

There is a rubber boot over the nylon handle. The base of the handle has multiple "fingers" that grab a groove in the shifter stalk (like a sphinkster).

I suppose you could roll the boot up a bit and see if you take a pick and release each of the fingers. Most of the time, they just pull off, really, really , really hard.

To put it back on, just push it back in place till you hear it click.

The Window inserts that have the Gear numbers on them, just clip into the console. Use a small flatblade to pry the insert from the console.

After that, the console is heald down with screws under the 4WD selector insert and the gearshift insert. Also, at the rear inside the glove box.

Ron

Last edited:
X2 on watch your face, thought I broke my nose, didnt help that the drivers seat was just sitting in there and no rear floor pan...my grand kids heard words they should never here. My son said "Dad...now that was a Kodak moment...he heard a couple too..lol

well..... as it turns out there are two screws holding it secure. i seen the one, but the other i didn't notice untill i broke the plastic "console" piece. the other was located right beside the 4wd selector which i didn't see because the "cover plate" was hiding it.

wreck it bad?? you can repair it from the inside, clamp or hold it together put super glue on the crack and sprinkle baking soda on the super glue until it soaks it up, its a permanent repair! dont knock it till you try it!! you can build up extra reinforcement with the same method, pour on the super glue and immediatly dump baking soda on it.try it on something else first to test it.

XJBANKER said:
PULL REALLY HARD AND DONT HIT YOURSELF IN THE FACE

hahaha are you speaking from experience?

ive hit myself in the face. it sucks! haha

i have a 96 just pull... I can do it with one hand, no need to get all hardcore like gojeep and get behind the seats lol

Zuki-Ron said:
After that, the console is heald down with screws under the 4WD selector insert and the gearshift insert. Also, at the rear inside the glove box.
Ron
Quoted cause he seemed to have missed it.

Sometimes it's easier to put the tranny in 1-2, still pulls off hard but then you don't smash your knuckles acrossed the rest of your dash...

Back