• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
What have people done in upgrading the alternator? I'm drawing quite a bit of power with my stereo and hellas. I just need some ideas.

I talked to a shop that dealt with elecronics and they gave me a 140 amp one that fit it pretty good minus me haveing to grind the bracket to account for the bigger body

Search and read up on grand cherokee/dakota/durango 5.2 or 5.9 alternator swaps... or if you really want to upgrade look up 5-90 he knows a guy...

Try ebay- it's a bit easier than the ZJ/Durango swap. Most of the ZJ alternators with 136 amps use a larger case. I got mine off of ebay, 170 amps in the stock case for $150. I got it from an electronics shop that sells stuff on ebay. To me, it was the same as buying something from a local electronics shop I'd never used before. I talked to 5-90's guy, I don't have a great reason for not buying from him, it's just that I got more amps for the same price. Here's the one I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ALTERNATOR-JEEP-CHEROKEE-6CLY-4L-1991-1998-180AMPS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33573QQihZ023QQitemZ360003336941QQtcZphoto

Here's a brace of pages I built for the guy I use - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/sjg.html

I've always been a bit leery of eBay hard parts - since I don't know what I'm getting, and I'm not sure who I'm talking to if I call. If you call Rod, you're talking to the guy who does the work, and who does the testing when it's done. I happen to find that comforting.

Also, what options you have depend heavily on what year rig you have - since the alternator changed a couple of times on the way up (1984-1986 used Delco SI, 1987-1990 used Delco CS, and 1991-2001 used a couple of Nippondensos.) Also, I can look up what might have come from the factory - so you know what you're starting with before you get anything else. I find that helps (it's difficult to evaluate an upgrade if you don't know how much of an upgrade it's supposed to be...)

Back