• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How hard is it to install a new stereo?

jazclrint

NAXJA Forum User
I have checked the archives but it all concerns wiring and that is not what concerns me as I have some knowledge there. What I want to know is how much of a PITA is to get the older stereo out? I have a '95 XJ, and I hate taking panels off. (A quick check shows the '93s are a PITA. Are the '95s the same?)

Also, I have never really had decent radio reception, ever. The scan feature almost never stops, even if there are stations that will pick up without much static. I thought it was the antenna or radio, but I had an AM/FM/CD walkman in it one day that normally gets pretty good reception, but it got the same thing the car stereo did while I was driving down the road. It was a long time ago I did this and I don't remember if I checked the reception with the XJ off. Any ideas? And I did check the archives.

TIA,
Rich

Last edited:
Real easy. . . simple swap. It gets tougher working with a '97+.
You can either hardwire your new stereo to the wires in the dash (by splicing corresponding wires together), or buy an overpriced adapter. WEither way works, but buying the adapter makes installation a breeze.

Kyle Horvath said:
Real easy. . . simple swap. It gets tougher working with a '97+.
You can either hardwire your new stereo to the wires in the dash (by splicing corresponding wires together), or buy an overpriced adapter. WEither way works, but buying the adapter makes installation a breeze.

the adapters aren't that expensive.

if you can see in color, and do a little wiring, its pretty easy.

really hard dont do it. My brother died in an explosion while doin this process

jazclrint said:
Yes, but what panels do I have to take off to get to it? What I am concerned about is having to dismantle my whole dash just to get the darn thing out.

It depends on what is in there currently. If it's just a normal ISO/DIN style unit, then it should pull straight out (perhaps with a removal tool). Replacement slots back in.

I don't know where you heard that about the 93. A few minutes to take one panel loose and, as I remember, a couple of screws to get the OEM unit out. I'm not necessarily recommending Crutchfield but you get a free adapter with your head unit.

Yea, crutchfield and cardomain both ship FREE adapters, takes about 20 min on the workbench with a soldering iron and some shrink tubing to make the connections between the two plugs, then you plug one end of the adapter into the stock harness and the other end into the back of the radio. When I put my Jensen am/fm/cd/bluetooth head unit in my XJ it took longer to do the adapter soldering and heatshrink then to remove the old radio and put the new one in.
I think cardomain now uses crutchfield but not at the crutchfield prices :D :D :D

The main problem on a 95 is that when they changed the steering column design they did not change the bezel that goes behind it. It's a stretch to get it off without breaking it. You can take the column jacket off, but it's a hassle. After going through a couple of stereos and other repairs on my 95, and at one point accidentally breaking the defrost switch with the bezel, I just broke the bezel on purpose, right above the column. I probably should have cut it cleanly, but either way, the crack is inconspicuous on a beater like mine. Now it can be removed easily without messing with the column.

Once the bezel is off, the rest is easy. The stereo is standard DIN size, held in by a bracket with just a couple of screws. You'll likely need some sort of adapter to attach to the dash, easily found. The only other problem you're likely to have is stuffing the wiring in properly behind the unit, but that's manageable.

Check actual car stereo stores for wiring adapters. I don't think they're that expensive.

All that is necessary is to remove the dash panel. (There are four screws around the instrument cluster. The other side of the panel around the stereo/heater controls, etc. uses clips that just pull out. You may need to unclip the molding around the steering shaft also.) Once the dash panel is removed, there are only two screws that hold the stereo in. Remove the old stereo, wire in the new one. The rest is reverse of removal.

The column cover is not hard to take off. Just a couple of torx bolts on the bottom (you'll need a long torx tool because they're really recessed deep) and unscrew the tilt lever.

Then take all the bezel screws out. When you take the bezel out, pull the top of it forward. It'll hit the top of the dash overhang. Just bend it slightly and rock it back and forth and it'll come out.

I did this numerous times on my 96 and I never cracked the bezel.

The HU itself is pretty easy with the installation kit mentioned. The bad part is that there is not much room behind the HU to stash the wiring.

And it is much much easier on a 97+...not harder. Center bezel snaps off by hand and more room to work with.

In the time it takes to read this thread you could ALMOST have the old stereo out in your lap. Just disconnect the battery before you start and don't force anything. I don't know about cardomain but cruthfield kits make it idiot proof.

jazclrint said:
Yes, but what panels do I have to take off to get to it? What I am concerned about is having to dismantle my whole dash just to get the darn thing out.

I had to take the dash bezel out, which really isn't that bad. it was harder on my S10. you just unscrew it, and carefully pull it out.

a tilt column helps alot, tilt the wheel all the way down.

oh, and watch the HVAC wiring when you put the new stereo in. I knocked mine out and had to take the dash apart again!

A stereo install in an XJ is dead easy. Take off one panel and you're there. Some people run the DIN cage into the existing cutout for the stereo and mount it that way, but I find that to be sloppy. I simply mounted mine to the existing radio brackets. Just try and do as clean a job with the wiring as possible, because as aforementioned, there isn't tons of room back there to cram wires.

it's really not hard. I just did it. just the one front panel. it has two screws above the guage cluster, and it kinda pops out. it takes a little working, and manuvering, but it shouldn't take longer than about 30 seconds..... two screws hold the stock radio in, remove those slide it out, and you're golden... I just hard wired mine, cause I didn't want to mess with getting an adapter. BE CAREFUL TO MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHICH WIRES ARE WHICH! I made mistakes, and it sucked... took a lot longer than I wanted. anyhoo... have fun!

I bet its super easy if you have a stock stereo in.

I had a butchered PO installed stereo in mine. the cage was all torn up.

don't know if I'd say SUPER easy..... but in my 1990, it's pretty easy... the panel just gets hung on the stereing column, and you have to work it out.

Back