• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana rear axel

jdxj

NAXJA Forum User
anyone know what axel came in the rear of 78,79 ford F 350's.
Are they two wide for an XJ?

axle

hammerandnailsco said:
anyone know what axel came in the rear of 78,79 ford F 350's.
Are they two wide for an XJ?

I believe it was either a D60, D80, or a Ford/Sterling 10.25" (I'd have to check notes to narrow it down...)

As I recall, the XJ WMS-WMS axle width is 60-1/4", while the F-350 is somewhere around 65-70" (again, I'd have to check to see what I've got. Haven't been able to talk to Ford directly yet...) so you'd probably have to change backspacing so it wouldn't look too ridiculous.

N.B. - Aren't the 1-ton pickup axles 8-lug patterns? What do you plan to do to match front and rear lugs? I think the F/S Ford front axles drop on the wrong side, so that could be difficult...

5-90 said:
I believe it was either a D60, D80, or a Ford/Sterling 10.25" (I'd have to check notes to narrow it down...)

As I recall, the XJ WMS-WMS axle width is 60-1/4", while the F-350 is somewhere around 65-70" (again, I'd have to check to see what I've got. Haven't been able to talk to Ford directly yet...) so you'd probably have to change backspacing so it wouldn't look too ridiculous.

N.B. - Aren't the 1-ton pickup axles 8-lug patterns? What do you plan to do to match front and rear lugs? I think the F/S Ford front axles drop on the wrong side, so that could be difficult...
Should be a D60, or D70.

The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were all 8 lug. The front axles are all drivers drop.

Starboard M said:
Should be a D60, or D70.

The 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were all 8 lug. The front axles are all drivers drop.

I was certain about the lug patterns, but not the drop - thanks for that.

It's also possible that it could be a D80 or 10.25" - but those would be more likely with a dually. However, I think the hubs can be swapped to make a DRW axle a SRW axle - I think that was the only real difference.

I found one on CL for $400.00 but he doesn't know what axel it is. He did say it was a Dana. Might be more of a pain than it's worth. As far as back spacing I'd have two get new wheels anyway.
Then what to do about the front:hang:

Could I possibly change the bolt pattern?

5-90 said:
However, I think the hubs can be swapped to make a DRW axle a SRW axle - I think that was the only real difference.

What is DRW and SRW:dunno:

hammerandnailsco said:
I found one on CL for $400.00 but he doesn't know what axel it is. He did say it was a Dana. Might be more of a pain than it's worth. As far as back spacing I'd have two get new wheels anyway.
Then what to do about the front:hang:

Could I possibly change the bolt pattern?

Ask him for a Bill of Materials number - it should be stamped into one of the tubes near the centre section, on the same side as the cover.

Change the bolt pattern? That would require a custom hub (for full-floating axles,) or a custom shaft (for semi-floats.) Probably easier to select OTS parts, since they're easier to find and easier to work with...

OTS = Off-the-Shelf.

It's a D-60 with 4:10's. Worth it?
What if I waited till I could find a full length 44 for the front?:dunce:
I'm kind of tired of dealing with the lack of AM support for my 8.25 29 spline.:gee:

Back