• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gm 14 bolt mod help

mk153smaw

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a GM 14 bolt rear dropped off from a friend who wanted to be rid of it. It came off a military CUCV. I looked up the numbers and it has 4.88 Gov-Loc. What do I have to do to fit this thing under my XJ?
I measured the plate where the drumbrakes mount to and it is about 54 1/2" from plate to plate. That is about the same as the rear I have now. The Gm just seems longer though.
I know the spring mounts need to move out about 1 1/2" on each side to be the width it needs.
Anyone done this?

I thought the larger CUCV axles had no-spins and not gov-loc's? If it has 4.88 it should be from a dually. I'm not sure if that is going to have an affect on the width with a singe rear wheel setup?

Hopefully someone who's really up on 14 bolts can chime in.

I think it may have been from a dually. The drums look like there were huge. I dont have the drums or the axle shafts. What was delivered to me was the axle itself and the gears still installed inside minus the drums, shafts. there is what is left of one of the axles wher someone had used a cutting torch to cut it off at the edge of the axle tube. Looks to be some damage there, but it doesnt seem unrepairable.

I called my friend, he says it was from the pick up type of CUCV, the older one that looks like a K15 from what he thinks.

Check the locker, as far as what I've ready it should be a detroit no-spin in there.

Probably best bet would be to run to the local junkyard, get a complete SRW (single rear wheel) 14bolt for $100 and move your gears/locker into it. That way you have the right house/shafts/brakes and aren't trying to kludge it together.

Its going to be wide though, unless you narrow it.

If I were to use it, I was going to get a disc brake kit for it and forgo the drums alltogether. Is getting it narrowed hard? i have not done extensive work with axles other than doing strait swaps. I have time and a little bit, not too much, to spend on it if it is worth the money when done.

Heck I was saving for a dynatrax from D60 for my rig anyways, maybe fixing this thing and then selling the D44 it is replacing would fetch me a decent front D44?

For any tires you'd want to run that axle for, you don't want to narrow it, and you certainly don't want to match it with a 44.

It's also not worth fixing. You can get them in junkyards for 100 bucks all day long. I paid $600 for mine and that was with 0 miles on it, disc brake conversion installed with brand new calipers and rotors, 4.56 gears, and a Detroit. You can't even buy all the parts for that much.

Back