• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A different kind of NSS question

JeepBilly

NAXJA Forum User
Now this is coming from another person, so bear with me - I'm just trying to see if I can't help a girl out.

She was having NSS issues but getting around them by jiggin' and wigglin'. Last time she was in the XJ it started making a "weird noise... like it was about to explode" so she turned it off. When she went to turn it back on, no dice - but not because of the NSS as she was hearing the really click as she cranked it.

Help me be a hero.

Thanks -

check the flex plate, it's possible that it's brokem and it's gotten the starter all bound up.

It's also possible that the starter solenoid has gone bad, and the noise she heared was the bendix not disengaging.

What year is this. Are you sure it wasn't do to the NSS? There is obviuosly something wrong with it if you have to wiggle the wires to get it to work. The loose connection might and probably is effecting the system. I would start by fixing the NSS weither it be the wiring or replacing the switch itself. Then go from there.

Yeah she's about 150 miles from me right now.
Not sure if its related to her NSS issues or a completely different and new issue. Its hard to know what she meant by "sounded like it was going to explode"... but knowing that I could probably better diagnose the clicking-but-no-starting. I would just tell her to have someone bang on the starter with a hammer or something, but without knowing what the "it was going to explode sound" was I'm a little clueless...

Thanks for the replies so far!

Back