• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blackout Tape?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Blackout Tape; ... Is that the correct name for the thin plastic film that covers the lower section of the doors and fenders? Lots of XJ's seem to have this stuff. I'm not talking about the heavier units of plastic bumper that stick on the lowers, just the plain stuff. On my Jeep there's two strips per panel - One above the moulding (to the crease), and one below the moulding (to the rockers).

I need to replace a small section. The dealer isn't sure, but says that all he can order is a "blacout tape kit" with pre-cut sections for the entire car at a cost of nearly $160.

Is this what I want? is there a cheaper way to get it? All I need is a small piece to replace a single section on the door. I'm sure that someone has a good substitute that makes it more economical to fix. Any suggestions?

'94 Sport 4 door

My 89 is just a dd and beater so I would just paint it on. 1 rattle can and a roll of mask is alot cheaper and easier to repair to me. The 160.00 could be spent else where.

Just paint it. You have a bunch of options when painting as for the texture, etc.

Definiately cheaper. Less hassle, etc. Just prep well before painting as well as mask off what you don't want painted.

I've considered painting, but I was really hoping to find another source for this stuff where I can pick up just a small piece to replace the one damaged spot.

its over 10 years old, just paint it. my cherokee limited is almost 20 & im (started to anyway) painting the whole thing with the rattle can. be damned if i take it to a shop for $200 on a paint job when i can do it for less than $100!!!

You get what you pay for with paint. A paint shop, even a sucky $200 job isn't a Krylon rattlecan. Granted, there will be no UV protection and almost no clearcoat, it will look like an orange peel and likely will peel in couple years. I just cannot bring myself to Krylon my vehicles- unless it's primer of course :rolleyes:
Hell with it, just spray the whole Jeep with bedliner and be done with it. No washing, no waxing, no rusting and no pesky sun glare.

i know all that, but i do plan on clear coating it.but hey she wants to do it & neither one of us can stand the ugly worn out grey it is now. i already have the front half of it primered.
wet sanded it all down got like 5 cans of primer & went to town. hell the primer looks better than the factory paint now :laugh2: . now if i only had a warm garage to work on it in !!!

go talk to a sticker/sign printing shop. that black tape is very similar to the black vinyl they use to make stickers. im sure they would sell you a small piece for cheap, or even make the piece for you.

Back