• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about CV driveshaft

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I just did a PORC SYE and put an XJ front DS in the rear.... What is the distance that the DS should be extended? The length of the exposed inner part of the DS is about 2.5". On the front it's only 1.5" ish.

That sounds short,most driveshafts only have 3" of travel.

anyone else know? anyone that's done an XJ front shaft in the rear?

Lots have done it,you didnt say what trans/axle you have?

My rear shaft (not a front) has about 1.5" exposed splines with about 2.5" of splines used.

Your Right. Must be auto with the 8.25 rear

i have the 8.25... I'll take some pictures when i get back. I also have a ZJ shaft just in case, but I don't think that I will have much compression on that one.

TY....Thats about what mine is...I seem to remember a smart comment from you when I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago? about how much should be showing and how much travel there should be in the shaft.

anyways I have auto and 8.25 rear axle. Mine is extended about the same as you state, near 2.5" of the slip section showing. So far no problems, once I shimmed it correctly it seems perfectly fine the way it is. But like said above the GC ones are a little longer if you have the d35 rear axle.

well, i might experiment with throwing in the GC shaft, but saying as you have no problems i wont worry about it... besides, w/ typical geometry, the amount of downtravel i have shouldn't be enough to pull the shaft's apart.

Back