• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kayak fishing...

Jump This

Just another minion!
I need a break. It seems as though whenever I get into a project, the project is all I do.
After spending May through August building the Cherokee, I spent August through November doing volleyball, then the last month and a half working on my dune buggy and the son's Cherokee...

What I'm getting at is, I need a break.

Just something different and I have noticed at least two of us are into Kayak fishing. This sounds like something worth giving a go.
So, how about a trip to the kelp beds at La Jolla?
Third weekend in January, say the 19th or 20th?

Anyone interested in giving it a shot?

Rick-

I'm more into wrangling em by hand (sometimes spear) but Santa has 2 kayaks rigged for fishing. Live bait, rod holders, fish finder.

Jump This said:
Just something different and I have noticed at least two of us are into Kayak fishing. This sounds like something worth giving a go.
So, how about a trip to the kelp beds at La Jolla?
Third weekend in January, say the 19th or 20th?

Anyone interested in giving it a shot?

Rick-

I'll join in if I am able...I usually work on the weekends.

I also get on the www.BigWatersEdge.com forum... though I've been preoccupied with my build for a couple of months now. you can see what the activity is like and a bunch of other good links- very similar to this site.

I live in SD and kayak fish as often as possible. I do La Jolla and Mission Bay mostly. I remember you Rick (from when I first came to this board) and would love to Yak fish with you. You can use on of my yaks. I have 2 15' Ocean Kayaks Prowlers. Let me know.

-Mike

PS. bigwatersedge.com/ kayak4fish.com/ bloodydecks.com are all great Kayak fishing resources. =)

Shit!!
I knew those 'lawyer' cracks were going to get me into trouble sooner or later!!

:D

So....when IS your bar anyway?

also..

I'm thinking a NAXJA Kayak fishing day is in order!

So here is the date, Saturday Jan 19th at La Jolla.

I'll start another thread to remind people.

Rick

when i think of rick and a boat this is all that comes to mind
Picture020.jpg

:D

juryrigjalopy said:
I'm more into wrangling em by hand (sometimes spear) but Santa has 2 kayaks rigged for fishing. Live bait, rod holders, fish finder.

My son(juryrigjolipy)is lieing to ya I have three 15 foot Malibu kayaks and one 9 foot something or the other but I am booked for the 19th......SANTA

More like...
IMG_2147.sized.jpg

I sold my Yak to buy a gift for my wife.
had a fishndive w/depth/fish/gps... finder. good for cruising at 3knots. It was so stable, I could lay down and take a nap.

This is a boat

IMG_0168.JPG

karstic said:

Yep. Specifically Sea Scout Ship 16, SSS Islander out of Marina Del Rey. I've been working on it for quite a few years as both a youth and adult.

Santa, the outside is in very original condition, but the inside is quite a bit different now; not to mention the original Hall-Scott avgas V12's are no longer there since we can't afford to fuel them. Now we have 2 Detroit 8V-92's with twin turbos.

IslanderOffRoad said:
Yep. Specifically Sea Scout Ship 16, SSS Islander out of Marina Del Rey. I've been working on it for quite a few years as both a youth and adult.

Santa, the outside is in very original condition, but the inside is quite a bit different now; not to mention the original Hall-Scott avgas V12's are no longer there since we can't afford to fuel them. Now we have 2 Detroit 8V-92's with twin turbos.

I use to be a hand on one(Shooting Star) out of Dana Point but it sank with Ron Caspers and 10 other souls aboard back in 1974 off BAJA,I was not on board for that trip, we use to have a ton of fun with that old boat.........SANTA

Hey Rick,

I'm heading out to do some yak fishing in mid to late Jan and San Elijo was on the list of "what if's" as well as some stuff further up the coast, but possibly affected by the MLPS. Might be talked into hooking up a camp site and tryin' the La Jolly kelp. If not, Dana and Cottons, off of San Mateo Pt, are producing nice butt in this cold water, especially at a low and incoming. Not to mention, guys are pullin' legals from surf zones.

Keep pushin' this one through and I'll bring you a wooden raft for the trip!

Back