• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

APN Header Cracked????

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got around to figuring out where my exhaust leak is coming from. I was going to replace the manifold gasket, but I decided to just replace the one to the down pipe first. That didn't do anything so I started feeling around, and my APN header is cracked in the same place my stock one did! By the time I got home, it was too late for me to call APN, but I plan on doing that tomorrow. It is supposed to have a "limited lifetime" warranty, so we'll see how that conversation goes.

I've only had this manifold on my 98 XJ for about 18 months, but now that I think about it, I think it has been leaking for the last 6 months or so, I just assumed it wasn't the header because it was new. Has anybody else had this problem with APN? I'm trying to decide if I want to put the same thing back in or look into other options. Maybe Pacesetter? I haven't heard much bad about them, but I haven't heard much bad about APN either. Who knows.....

I know someone had theirs crack but they had header wrap on it, if mine cracks ill just have one of the guys i work with weld it back up

ace_outlaw_08 said:
I know someone had theirs crack but they had header wrap on it, if mine cracks ill just have one of the guys i work with weld it back up
It will crack again. Once the metal has been heat hardned by the exhaust it will not stay welded. It will crack next to the weld.

I ran a Hedman header on my 91XJ. I only put about 3k on it before I sold it, so I can't give you any long term info, but it worked fine when I had it.

I've heard of some success stories about welding headers.

Drill a small hole on either end of the crack for starters, then weld.

We will be trying this in the spring/summer. My friend got a new motor so he has his old cracked manifold lying around......will weld it up and swap it out with my cracked manifold.

If you have bad motor mounts or transmission mounts any exhaust manifold you install will have a short and wretched life.

joshv98xj said:
How do I tell if they are bad?
The motor mounts tend to tear at the bolt hole in the rubber part. I highly recommend MORE mounts or a similar design. After installing the MORE mounts and welding the stock header, I have had no problems at all.

I've had my APN Header on my '96XJ for about 14 months... give or take and have put a LOT of miles on it... no cracks (BIG knock on wood) as of today. I'm interested in what you find out f/ APN and the warranty issue. I have good Motor/Tranny mounts as those were changed out around the same time the OE header was.

Let us know and GOOD luck getting the results that satisfy you. Too bad a warranty won't pay to have someone come out to your house and do all the labor as well... :)

Here's a link to my install...
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=93378

I called up APN today, and they were more than helpful. As I would have guessed from all the positive feedback from here, the customer service rep I spoke to said they have had very few of these headers come back. I told him it was cracked, and he said it would be covered. He also offered to either ship me a new one upon receipt of my cracked manifold, or I could purchase a 2nd one, which they would refund my purchase when I sent the cracked one back. That would be a big help, it would just eliminate a lot of down time.

What I'm not sure about is if I really want to go this route again. I didn't look at my motor mounts yet, but if they really need replacing I'll probably stick with APN. Unfortunately, there's really not much else in my price range. Pacesetter maybe, a new down pipe would be nice, and I like the longer runners, but I've heard they can be a pain to install. I had planned on working on my Jeep this month, and I am- I'm in the middle of a D44 install along with a disc upgrade, hack'n'tap, and a gas tank skid. I wasn't really planning on adding a new header to that list. And Santa's credit is bad around my place.....

joshv98xj said:
I called up APN today, and they were more than helpful. As I would have guessed from all the positive feedback from here, the customer service rep I spoke to said they have had very few of these headers come back. I told him it was cracked, and he said it would be covered. He also offered to either ship me a new one upon receipt of my cracked manifold, or I could purchase a 2nd one, which they would refund my purchase when I sent the cracked one back. That would be a big help, it would just eliminate a lot of down time.

What I'm not sure about is if I really want to go this route again. I didn't look at my motor mounts yet, but if they really need replacing I'll probably stick with APN. Unfortunately, there's really not much else in my price range. Pacesetter maybe, a new down pipe would be nice, and I like the longer runners, but I've heard they can be a pain to install. I had planned on working on my Jeep this month, and I am- I'm in the middle of a D44 install along with a disc upgrade, hack'n'tap, and a gas tank skid. I wasn't really planning on adding a new header to that list. And Santa's credit is bad around my place.....
I had stock motor mounts fail within a month. Running in the desert is very hard on motor mounts. The stock mounts just don't hold up well. Get stronger mounts and I would bet you will see no more cracks.

I have a Banks Power header and I love it no problems. I did the newer intake manifold swap and I HIGHLY suggest if you really are considering doing it to do it the next time you put in a new header since you already have to take the manifold off anyway but its not a hard install only thing to modify is length of wire to one sensor since it was relocated on the newer manifold and you need to extend a vaccum hose other than that everything from your old manifold swaps right on. I also ran some aftermarket motor mounts from Rustys and they were definately heavy duty and for those that put their jeeps through hard abuse often but they transferred too much engine vibration through my jeep for my taste so I put some new factory ones back on much more comfortable when sitting idle in Atlanta traffic where the jeep unfortunately spends most of its time. I still have the old Rustys mounts if you want them. I have both the Polyurethane and Rubber ones (don't let the rubber fool you they are the same construction just with what appears to be control arm bushings in them) they both have less than 10,000 miles on them. One more thing I too was going to get a down pipe and Banks offers an upgraded one but only for certain years and not mine 97. When I asked the guy at 4 wheel parts why they didn't have one for my year he called up Banks and they said because the 97 down pipe had plenty of flow so it wasn't necessary. I assume the 98 wouldn't be very far off so if yours aint beat up or nothin save some money and keep your stock one. Good luck with everything.

Last edited:
Yeah, I already did the intake manifold swap.

Are you saying you have both HD Rubber and HD Poly motor mounts for sale or that you used them? Which ones transferred all the vibrations? I assume the poly mounts? If you have the HD rubber mounts, I might be interested in those. PM me if you do.

joshv98xj said:
Yeah, I already did the intake manifold swap.

Are you saying you have both HD Rubber and HD Poly motor mounts for sale or that you used them? Which ones transferred all the vibrations? I assume the poly mounts? If you have the HD rubber mounts, I might be interested in those. PM me if you do.

I have used both and have both for sale. The poly mounts definately transferred the most vibrations but the rubber ones weren't all that much better. But if you arent bothered too much by some slightly more engine vibs then you should like them I just had so many little annoying vibrations in my jeep that were made more apparent with these mounts and that combined with my bad ADD just wasnt working haha. But yah man if you want to buy one of the pairs Im looking to get $50 for each pair. Thats cheaper than one new OEM mount.

Try installing one of those flex pipes from Summit Racing. They're like 25 bucks and if coupled with new motor mounts, will really help keep those nasty vibes away from your header. My .02

Blaine B. said:
I'd rather have vibes than worn motor mounts.

One of my 5 months old AutoZone "anchor" motor mounts is TOAST! 5 months!!! WHAT?!?!
My autozone mounts lasted less than a month with my stroker, so I went with M.O.R.E. mounts.

I saw those autozone cheapo mounts and said to the guy "screw that those wont last 6 months" so i drove down to the dealership and forked out the $60for the factory OEM Mopar mounts and these ones are way more quality that the autozone ones and i have had them on for over a year and havent shown signs of aging or breaking yet so im happy.

It's not like I am hard on my Jeep either. Only a handfull of wheeling trips since they were replaced.

The motor hasn't moved around much!

Plus I did all 3 mounts at the same time. Not like there was added stress on the mounts due to other bad mounts.

I'm seriously starting to realize that people aren't lying when they say you get what you pay for. You pay more in the long run for going cheap. Although it's hard to go expensive right from the start on a college-kid budget! But what you don't think about is how it saves you more money down the road.

Hey im a broke college-kid too and i did the same thing but i bought the HD ones not thinkin about how they would tranmit the vibs through the jeep. then i wised up and bought the OEM stuff and yah u really do get what u pay for. Its weird with the OEM stuff some of its crap and some of its good stuff. weird huh?

Back