• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trackbar - shorten or custom build

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running a JKS over-the-axle trackbar mount on my D30. I shortened my RE trackbar as a temporary solution since it was the old heim style and I knew I would be replacing it soon anyway. When I bought my TnT LA upgrade, I went ahead and got the TnT trackbar to replace the RE. According to my quick measurements, I'm going to need to have the new trackbar shortened 5.5" to make it work. Would it be better to make one the length I need or just go ahead and shorten the TnT? Obviously it would need to either be sleeved or have a slug put in it to strengthen the cut area. On the flip side, I would have to buy the bushing/flex joint/tubing and have it made up.

Also, is the bend in the trackbar really necessary, or would a straight one work?

I think you have it pretty figured out. When I shorted one one time, I put a piece of solid tube in. drilled two holes and burned it home. It worked great.

I have the JKS bracket as well and made a shorter straight bar. I only think the bends are for axle pumpkin clearance anyways.

Mine is over the axle and it is straight. I can adjust it without removing it also which is an added bonus.

I used a peice of 1.25x.250 DOM, a superflex joint i had sitting around and a rod end I stole from Cracker.

No bend. I didn't use the JKS mount, but I suppose I could have.

steering.jpg

You could probably sell the TNT for enough to buy the material to build one and have some beer money left over.
Either way will work. Just post some pictures when you get it done.

sgtmack said:
You could probably sell the TNT for enough to buy the material to build one and have some beer money left over.
Either way will work. Just post some pictures when you get it done.

That's kind of what I was thinking... I need the bracket to replace the stocker, but I'm sure I could sell the TnT bar by itself. Plan for tomorrow is to hit up the machine shops in town and see what they would charge to shorten it.

Or you could buy the far superior RE bracket + brace, and then build your own trackbar.

The RE bracket looks pretty darn similar to the TnT, what makes it better? I have been eyeing the RE brace, and was thinking about trying to make it work with the TnT bracket.

Mainly, the brace makes it better. Its a tight fit getting that all into a bracket that doesnt drop the trackbar down signifigently (the RE bracket drops maybe .5") - why re-invent the wheel?

Putting the brace on turns your jeep into a whole new car. Suddenly, *EVERYTHING* feels better.

Well, if I price everything out through RE, I come up with ~$235, that includes the brace, but not shipping or tube. I paid $225 for the TnT setup, I don't know if I could get that back out of it.

More research to come.

Check out the naxja sponsor vendors, you can get a MUCH better price.

Call Dirk @ DPG Byron. He's always done me right.

The kind of guy Dirk is:
I can't remember what it was but one time and needed something, I think it was a bushing or something. He looked it up and said that he couldn't do very good on price. He told me to get it directly from RE and that I'd save myself some cash. He didn't have to do that, he could have just took my money and ran but he didn't.:thumbup:

www.dpgoffroad.com

Hale

Thanks cal and Hale for the vendor recommendations. Satellites are linkin' up, messages being transferred.

Anyone need a TnT trackbar? :D

Well, I decided to keep the TnT and shorten it. Thanks to some great pics from cal, I think I can make the RE brace work with the TnT bracket. The trackbar is at the machine shop now getting 5.5" chopped off of it. I'll post up pics once I get it all done.

Any pics yet??

Heh, not really :D I got the trackbar back from the shop, but haven't had a chance to install it yet. It's on the list for my next wrenchin' day, the 16th. I'll be sure to post up after that. Thanks for the reminder!

Edit: I guess I do have a pic of the trackbar itself if you want to see that...

HPIM0990.jpg

Last edited:
Back