• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hello new memeber, Headlights-wiring?

CABXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have been lurking around here for about a month, it all started when I was looking for a new truck and looked at the XJ. I ended up here kept my eyes open and picked up a XJ. So now I have my DD a 2001, auto, 231?, 8.25 trac lock all stock with about 60,000 miles on the clock which by all accounts is just nicely broken in, no mods yet. Going to do the following this spring 5.5 TNT long arm, SYE, Frame stiffeners, sliders, fornt and rear bumpers, 31" for the street and 33" for trail, 4.56 gears. Will do all the work myself and try and fab sliders, stiffeners, and bumpers.
So a big THANK-YOU to all the members that help out others on this site for it's your knowledge and ethusiasm for the XJ that has inspired to become a member of NAXJA and to build my own XJ.

I do have a factory service manual on order but can someone tell me which lead controls the high beams?

Thanks agian and Happy Holidays to All.

82krypk.png

just get a set of 33's. And call it done.

31's on the street with 4.56's will give you worse gas mileage than just leaving on the 33 meats. :thumbup:

RyanM said:
just get a set of 33's. And call it done.

31's on the street with 4.56's will give you worse gas mileage than just leaving on the 33 meats. :thumbup:
Says who? I got better MPG with my old 31s than I do with the 33s. Takes a lot more power up and down hills with 33s. 31" Dayton ATs vs 33" BFG MTs.

rstarch345 said:
Says who? I got better MPG with my old 31s than I do with the 33s. Takes a lot more power up and down hills with 33s. 31" Dayton ATs vs 33" BFG MTs.
I said with 4.56's not 3.55s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nobody has anybusiness running 33's on stock gears :)

I just switched from my 31's to 33's for the winter with stock gearing still, runs like a charm. Not slugish at all, no problem with OD, even speedo is right on. Don't plan on keeping it stock gearing forever but all the hype is just that, hype. I'll regear when I'm ready.

There is no way your speedo is the same with a 2" taller Diameter tire., hell it was off when you were running 31's

31's on stock gears is honestly shitty. I couldn't pull hills in 5th on the freeway that I can pull now in 5th with 35.5" tall and heavyier tires.

People believe it is hype until what........

they actually put the gears in, and they are like wow, this is what the 4.0 is all about.

RyanM said:
There is no way your speedo is the same with a 2" taller Diameter tire., hell it was off when you were running 31's

31's on stock gears is honestly shitty. I couldn't pull hills in 5th on the freeway that I can pull now in 5th with 35.5" tall and heavyier tires.

People believe it is hype until what.......

they actually put the gears in, and they are like wow, this is what the 4.0 is all about.

X2 Some people actually know what they are talking about!!NAXJA

Well thats odd, I started with stock tires at approx. 28", went to 31's a year and a half ago, dueler at's, speedo exactly same according to following vehicle and confirmed on gps, now I did notice a difference in pep with that switch but nothing that slowed me down, this is a 93, auto of course, with 180,000 miles on the odometer, now I had been wanting to switch to my 33's for winter but hesitated because I didn't want to do any damage to my tranny, but read an article in petersen's 4 wor magazine about them running stock gearing on an xj for a year with hard trail riding as well as highway with 33's, so I decided to make my move. Hey if it's good enough for Pet 4WOR it's good enough for me. So I switched to me 33's last weekend in a snow storm. I noticed less difference with this switch than from stock to 31's. And today confirmed that the speedo is EXACT with a buddy in my work truck following me and again confirmed it with gps. But hey, those are just my observations, and they are fact. I have no doubt that regearing would make a huge difference in pep and power, I never denied that, but I have no problem now and I drive 60 miles to work and back daily. Now my 33's aren't mudders but they have very good tread and are good street tires. Yes the
33's are "heavyier" nice spelling. NAXJA folks DO know what they are talking about but some just follow along without testing for themselves, they're called lemmings.

:laugh:I got off of a speeding charge on 31's stock axles. Speedo was reading 50 when I was doing 58. So count me out as a lemming. Or is that not testing just observing as you say? I've seen 3 gear sets, 3 different size tires, and 2 different speedo gears

Update, double checked my speed with the gps friday, we've had a lot of snow lately and the reading were innacurate on a snow covered road. So on dry ashpalt speedo was off with stock gearing and 33's by 5-6 kph or 2-3 mph. Thanks

Thanks for wiring diagram 8Mud it was a big help.

In regards to gearing, I had a Pathfinder with 4:56 with 31's work great, my Toys have all started with 4:10's which are okay with 31's. My last Toy had 35's I have run 33's with 4:10's so I new 35's were not going to work, so in went 5:29's in hind sight might have been a bit low. After the gears were in stalled, my truck was back could use what ever gear a wanted run at 120 kph all day and mileage was almost same as stock.
The Jeep motor has a good a mount of torque one reason I own one, torque will over come a lot but at a cost, drive line wear, fuel mileage etc. For those who feel gearing makes little differance you need to drive a truck which is proberly geard and feel the diffreance.

Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to all.

Back