• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another disc brake setup in need of improving...

northwestxj

NAXJA Member #1283
Recently put a teraflex disc conversion on my rear d44. Really am not very impressed with my brakes. Pedal is pretty soft (after proper bleeding) and stopping power is not very good. Currently running the newer dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder, but with stock proportioning valve.

My question is hopefully more to those with the teraflex disc conversion, which uses explorer parts I believe. I have seen a lot about zj disc conversions and using the zj proportioning valve, but I feel as though it may be different with the explorer setup.

Any ideas on what to switch? Or those with the teraflex conversion, what are you running? I am thinking about using the zj proportioning valve as my next step...also was considering a different master cylinder, but am not sure what to run.

I have Explorer discs on my swapped in D44. I ran them with the stock proportioning valve at first and wasn't overly impressed with them, after swapping the guts out of my valve with the Grand's (easier than swapping the whole valve), braking was much improved. You mentioned you have a soft pedal, are you sure you got all the air out of the system?--------Hans

Have you tried an explorer valve? Just a thought. I def agree with checking the bleed job. Are you still running rubber hoses on the back? IF so are they all in good shape. The inside could be busted and the hose expanding when you hit the pedal.

Oatmeal said:
I have Explorer discs on my swapped in D44. I ran them with the stock proportioning valve at first and wasn't overly impressed with them, after swapping the guts out of my valve with the Grand's (easier than swapping the whole valve), braking was much improved. You mentioned you have a soft pedal, are you sure you got all the air out of the system?--------Hans

Thanks, I think that the zj prop valve will definitely be my next move. As far as the soft pedal...actually no, I'm not positive about the air. I am just using the pedal pressure with assistant to bleed...seemed to work ok but I'm thinking about buying a vacuum bleeding kit, would this help a lot?

lowrange2 said:
Have you tried an explorer valve? Just a thought. I def agree with checking the bleed job. Are you still running rubber hoses on the back? IF so are they all in good shape. The inside could be busted and the hose expanding when you hit the pedal.

I am running the teraflex rubber hoses which are brand new, so I dont think that is the problem...

northwestxj said:
Thanks, I think that the zj prop valve will definitely be my next move. As far as the soft pedal...actually no, I'm not positive about the air. I am just using the pedal pressure with assistant to bleed...seemed to work ok but I'm thinking about buying a vacuum bleeding kit, would this help a lot?
A vacuum bleader really isn't necessary if your assistant (or you) have the bleeding drill right.....start at the farthest wheel from the m/c and make sure to close the screw before lifting your foot off the pedal. When you installed the m/c did you bench bleed it before hooking up the lines? If you didn't you'll have a hard time getting all of the air out and lastly, I would bleed the air out of the proportioning valve as well.----------Hans

Oatmeal said:
A vacuum bleader really isn't necessary if your assistant (or you) have the bleeding drill right.....start at the farthest wheel from the m/c and make sure to close the screw before lifting your foot off the pedal. When you installed the m/c did you bench bleed it before hooking up the lines? If you didn't you'll have a hard time getting all of the air out and lastly, I would bleed the air out of the proportioning valve as well.----------Hans

Yep, thats how the bleeding was done...MC was bench bleed. How do I go about bleeding the air from the proportioning valve...just crack the lines?

I'm on the its-not-bled-properly bandwagon here. If you had a hard pedel and shitty brakes I'd think prop valve, but you are describing air.

I too am on the not bled properly bandwagon. I've got the Tera kit and my pedal is firm and its plenty willing to lock the rears. I need a ZJ prop. valve.

Back