• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best year?

Tinman93

NAXJA Forum User
Hello!
New to the site, so I'd might as well get things off to a good start! Which year/model XJ had the strongest drivetrain? I'm also looking at repair ease, parts availability and modification. I have a SJ for serious duty, but will keep in mind it won't last forever, and the XJ is a better platform for the future. This XJ will be used for light trail duty, hunting, fishing and canoeing. I'm interested in the 4.0 engine with an automatic. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tinman

I would say 99. Not just because that's what I have but I think it's the best. It has the better manifold (I believe) with out the head cracking problem of the 200-2001.

Not to hijack but has anyone ever thought that the head problem could have possibly lead to the death of the beloved XJ.

Tinman93 said:
Hello!
New to the site, so I'd might as well get things off to a good start! Which year/model XJ had the strongest drivetrain? I'm also looking at repair ease, parts availability and modification. I have a SJ for serious duty, but will keep in mind it won't last forever, and the XJ is a better platform for the future. This XJ will be used for light trail duty, hunting, fishing and canoeing. I'm interested in the 4.0 engine with an automatic. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tinman

Last year of high pinion front axle, last year before they went to the "improved" 0331 head.

Shhhhh, your driving the price of the '99s up and I don't have mine yet :) I got a '98 which it think is the second best year.

99's for the HP front axle and 0630 head. Wish my 00 was a 99 :( and i'm not even a member of the 0331 club ...yet.

I like my '00 because of the distributerless ignition, but I play in the water quite a bit.

I've been through three alternators now that were filled with grass and mud, but have never had to worry about stalling in the water once.

The LP axle is definately a minus on a '00. 0331 heads can crack, but they don't as often as some make it sound.

The '01s had a bunch of emmissions stuff that you definately don't want.

Some of the later XJs have the 29 spline 8.25 rear axle, which is a good thing.

I would stay away from low pinion dana 30s, dana 35s, 2.8L V6s, and disconnect front axles.

97 cause that is what I have!!!:paperwork

stay away from a 96. That's what I have, too many changes mid year. Hell, my local dealership can't even tell me if the 8 1/4 rear is 27 spline or 29 spline, even after giving them the VIN.

I would also say the 99, for listed reasons above and the fact that in 2 years i have put 50K miles on mine now at 145K total and have had nearly zero drivetrain problems.

Also look for a 231 for ease of modification, nothing wrong with the 242 though

WheelsUp said:
Is there any difference between the '98 & '99?

Yes. The 99's were the first year for the bigger intake.

My vote is for a 99 as well (but I may be somewhat biased :) ). All the reasons above just about cover it.

Similar to Prerunner, i've put about 45K on mine, only in about 3 years time....with 25K of that coming in the last year alone. Absolutely zero drivetrain problems, or problems at all for that matter. I'm actually a little concerned that I havent had to replace a single part in over a year.

As far as drivetrain and powertrain go, any one from late 96 to 99. The late 96s (manufacturered, after Sept. 96) are virtually identical to the 97s as far as drivetrain and powertrain components, which are the same as 98s and 99s. The 96s do have the older body style and interior though.
For strength and aftermarket get one with the 8.25 rear and the 231 TC.

ia green96 said:
stay away from a 96. That's what I have, too many changes mid year. Hell, my local dealership can't even tell me if the 8 1/4 rear is 27 spline or 29 spline, even after giving them the VIN.

What month was yours manufacturered? I havent heard of any before Sept. that have 29 spline. If I recall correctly, my 96 was made in Oct and its got a 29 spline.

falcon556 said:
Yes!
One year.
Actually only one second, or a millisecond depending on how precise you want to get.

97-98 are the best IMO, the 99 does have the better intake, but it also has more smog crap. but actually 87-99 are all good and pretty interchangeable, so you can really get whatever year then hit the junk yards and get all the best parts...d44 or c8.25 rear, 99 intake, HO head if you have a renix, etc, etc

Back