• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlights Just Went Out

jk333

NAXJA Forum User
my headlights and taillights and brakelights just went out. i dont have any flashers either. my blinkers work fine. Im not sure if it's a fuse. I pulled this off of a sticky on :NAXJA:.
fusejunction.jpg

fusepanel.jpg

will this work for a 1990 Laredo? . and what could my problem be???

well if you don't know if its a fuse, than find out if it is or not... that would be the first thing to do.

if thats not it, check back in as someone will have more/better ideas after a little while.

If you look at the subject on that sticky again you will note it's for a 2000/01 and will bear no resemblance to the 90.

I don't have a fuse/circuitbreaker schedule for the 90 but I am sure someone can help.

update: my Jeep has ABS. I turned the key on and the "check ABS" light came on. also with it running, it won't come out of park with the brake pedal pushed in. Im stressed (n) , I need to go to work tomorrow morning. ANy help on this would be very much appreciated.

Welcome to the world of owning a Jeep. Set your alarm early if it's a long walk to work.

McQue said:
check out your fusible links on the right wheel well near the starter relay.
x2 under this jumble of crap:
PICT0002-1.jpg

the orange looking wire with the rubber think molded on it,just to the right of the big a/c line, it would explain why your brake lamps are out (no power to brake lamp switch) and abs light is on

bcmaxx said:
PICT0002-1.jpg

the orange looking wire with the rubber think molded on it,just to the right of the big a/c line, it would explain why your brake lamps are out (no power to brake lamp switch) and abs light is on

thank you very much for the pic. i checked all the fuses just now, not it. so this is my nex trip. thanks again.

what year is your jeep? mine is a 94, i had my front marker lights go out b4. turn signals would work fine. but no orange lights on when the headlights were on. well i checked a VERY COMMON item on xj's to go bad. on the left side of the engine compartment (if looking from inside the vehicle) next to the airbox is the computer. it's bolted w/ 3 bolts i believe. well under the computer is a connector, can you guess what its for? it goes to all the lights in the front of the truck. if you pull it apart you might find a very turquoisey surprise with no plug ends waiting for you. that connector is very prone to corrosion. if you have ever noticed and i am sure you have that many xj's out there only have headlights on, with no parking lights. check that out, its worth a shot to know that it's ok or not. besides its not that hard to get too.

hey philagony, I happen to be one of those cherokees with headlights and no tail lights. brake lights are fine and so are turn lamps. never knew til getting pulled over the last two nights, both cops told me i didn't have my lights on.

I was wondering if that could be my problem, but you said that the connector runs all lights in the front of the vehicle? Fuses are good. And there's no way both my tail lights burnt out at the same time is there?

Thanks guys, didn't mean to hyjack, apologizes.

My truck had the tail lights go on me. Got pulled over for it too...

Never figured out what the deal was...truck was a beater anyway with a broken off rear wiper arm. The wiper and the tail light wires run to the back in the same harness, so I found a plug and just moved the wires.

My tail lights came on with my key, but I could turn them off by flipping the wiper switch to off.

well pipes, to be honest i dont know off hand if any of the wires in that particullar connector are in relation to the taillights or not. i would venture a guess and say nay. but if you got the time, go ahead and just check that connector.

you might find that anything powered by that connector is next to go out as well.

but i would first check the taillamp bulbs first.

if neither of those are bad, then i would say maybe your brake switch is bad.

if you say both the taillights and the rear wiper are run in the same loom, and one operates the other, then maybe that loom is pinched somewhere, creating a splice of the two.

basically start at the tailblulb, check that, if ok, then check the wires all the way up to the dash. keep moving forward until you reach something wrong.

who really knows with electrical, its just about as predictable as a girlfriend. and thats not saying much.

bcmaxx said:
PICT0002-1.jpg

i just tried it, i unplugged and plugged it back in. the connection looks good. any other ideas what's wrong?

philagony94xj said:
if you say both the taillights and the rear wiper are run in the same loom, and one operates the other, then maybe that loom is pinched somewhere, creating a splice of the two.

basically start at the tailblulb, check that, if ok, then check the wires all the way up to the dash. keep moving forward until you reach something wrong.

who really knows with electrical, its just about as predictable as a girlfriend. and thats not saying much.

Flip up the base to your back seat and look under the carpet. My wires were beat and grounded out by the PO not putting the jack away right and damn near starting my Jeep on fire. :flamemad:

wow, thats an interesting twist.

i think i'll be a little more careful putting parts back together carefully, and making sure no wires are underneath that could cause such a hazard. :twak:

but when your frustrated at the project anyways, who really pays that close attention to details.

jk333 said:
i just tried it, i unplugged and plugged it back in. the connection looks good. any other ideas what's wrong?

That is a fusable link. You cannot just unplug it and plug it back in to get it to work. The easy way to test a fusable link is to unplug it. And simple pull lightly at it.The wire that is. You are trying to see if it stretches or not. If it does stretch it is no good. That will tell you that the wire inside the insulation is broken. If it is bad you need to replace the link. They are sold at any auto parts store.

Back