• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another hesitation thread

downhillracer

NAXJA Forum User
Just what the title says. 89 xj 4.0 stumbling in idle and all throughout the gears. Doesn't matter if it is cold or hot. I already checked the tps and the o2 sensor is new... even though it's a bosch. I was gone for the past four days and when i return my jeep is f'd. I check under the hood and what do I see but my one of my plug wires dangling. I put the wire back on the plug and make sure that all the other wires are in the correct position (they were) and started it up.... still stumbling. Wtf?

A good place to start would be to check the fuel rail pressure with a gauge.
with the vacuum line connected at the fuel pressure regulator you should see about 30 psi. This is also a good time to check for the presence of fuel at the vacuum line indicating a leaking diaphram. The vacuum line from the map sensor to the throttle body seems to crack with old age. make sure your intake manifold bolts are tight. Your egr valve could be acting up as well. Just approach it one step at a time. Try and eliminate the ignition and fuel system, it might get difficult with the computer and related sensors, depends on your skills. I have an 89 xj also so I know how it can be sometimes. :NAXJA:

Thanks for the help. Figured out what the problem was after i took my distributer cap off. The rotor and contacts were covered in $hit. Cleaned them up and now it runs like a champ.... for now anyways.

Back