• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do I do first? Cooling system maint.

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have a 94 4.0 w/ AW4 tranny and 231 tc. It has 128000 miles on her. I need to have the cooling system flushed as it has been close to 3 years for it. I put only 16000 miles on her in that time. I have a new thermostat and gasket and a new lower radiator hose for it. I'm having the flush done being it's only 40.00 bucks and the mess is not in my garage. What I'm wondering is do I change the thermostat and lower hose before or after the flush and fill? As the coolant is dirty and I guess I'm concerned of the thermostat plugging up during the flush. Should I add a chemical flush to it before I go get the standard flush? Do I add a water pump lubricant after all this? Thanks for the help and opinions.

You could do the flush then just add 100% water to get you back from the shop then change the parts and add the proper amount of coolant. That way your not flushing the system adding new coolant then draining it again just to change the parts. You could dump some of that 7 hour flush stuff before you have it flushed. As far as waterpump lube, I've never heard of that so I can't really help you there. You could always take the old Tstat out then flush with out a Tstat then put the new one in.

OK, big oil change pan, remove the aux fan, remove the lower hose, drain the system.
Replace the Tstat, replace the upper hose, put the aux fan back in. Fill with water and take to the shop without letting the engine freeze solid from cold. That way they will drain the water, refill with the correct mix and you are good to go. Replace the pressure cap too.

RichP said:
OK, big oil change pan, remove the aux fan, remove the lower hose, drain the system.
Replace the Tstat, replace the upper hose, put the aux fan back in. Fill with water and take to the shop without letting the engine freeze solid from cold. That way they will drain the water, refill with the correct mix and you are good to go. Replace the pressure cap too.

X2 That is how I would do it!

Thanks for the opinions guy's. Problem is I work all week so I'd have to do it at night. This is not a problem except for filling with water the night before being the temp is about -8 degrees at night. HMMMMM. Guess I need to get some extra wood for the wood burner to keep the Jeep warm all night and day till I get back from work.

Back