• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

DANA 35??

pecsxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I thought all this time that I had a D35 with 3.55 gears. Turns out the tab that says the ratio was missing a 5 on the end which led me to believe that it was a D35, the other tab was so corroded that I couldn't even tell what it said, even after trying to clean it. So apperently I have the 27 spline C8.25 that was put in the 91-96 cherokee.

My question, since I can not seem to find much on how strong the 27S 8.25 is, what do you all think of it?? What have you experienced with it?? I know I can mod it to hold 29S shafts but wouldn't it be easier to just swap it out for a 97 or later 8.25?

Until yesterday I didn't even know they put a 27S 8.25 in pre 97 XJ's. I am going to open it up this weekend and count the splines just to be sure what it is. Thanks for all the input. :patriot:

a 8.25 is a hell of an upgrade from a dana 35, so count yourself lucky.

and that "other tab" would mean it's got LSD. is the second tab held on only by one bolt?

So you've got:
axle_825.jpg

(C8.25)

instead of:
axle_d35.jpg

right? Pics are from http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

27s C8.25 is stronger than the D35, but the 29-spline version is of course stronger than that. Gearing options are limited to 4.56, and there aren't a whole lot of locker options out there...but it's a fairly solid axle.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Yucca-Man said:
So you've got:
axle_825.jpg

(C8.25)

instead of:
axle_d35.jpg

right? Pics are from http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html

27s C8.25 is stronger than the D35, but the 29-spline version is of course stronger than that. Gearing options are limited to 4.56, and there aren't a whole lot of locker options out there...but it's a fairly solid axle.

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Thats the one!!

jeepcomj said:
a 8.25 is a hell of an upgrade from a dana 35, so count yourself lucky.

and that "other tab" would mean it's got LSD. is the second tab held on only by one bolt?

Both tabs were only held on by one bolt. I am going to have to open it up, that would be sweet if I had a LSD.

one tab will be longer, like the one you see hanging off the dana 35 above, and it's supposed to be held on by 2 bolts. the other one is about 2" long, 1" wide, and held on just by 1 bolt

jeepcomj said:
one tab will be longer, like the one you see hanging off the dana 35 above, and it's supposed to be held on by 2 bolts. the other one is about 2" long, 1" wide, and held on just by 1 bolt

well I think that one was broken because it only had a 35 on it and it ended just after the 5. the other tab was not very long either. so I might just have to open it up to see if there is a LSD and to count the splines. You never know if a previous owner swapped it out. I bought it in Aug. so I havent had it long and the guy that owned it was not there, I bought it from his dad.

The shafts arent much stronger than d35 shafts, but it doesnt have the retardedly weak pinion.

If you're staying on 32's or smaller, run it. If you plan on doing ~33", buy a 29 spline locker and some 29 spline shafts (stock or aftermarket, both are cheap). If you want to do 35's or bigger look at a 44 or 8.8.

Back