• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My bastard Pack - questions?

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
Okay... So I started my lift today and started with the bastard pack in the rear end.

I used S10 leaves out of an old blazer, here is the order:

XJ main (w/ eyes)
S10 main (w/o eyes)
S10 Second
S10 Third
XJ overload (the last little one)

I also have a 1.5" lift shackle in the rear...

I netted about 4.5" from the leaf packs alone because now my wheel center to fender height is about 23" (or 6" from stock)

I'm going to be running OME extended length shocks but they're only good up to 4.5" of lift.

I measured the length from the mounting stud to where the shock mounts to the body and it was about 22" and the OME shock fully extended is 24" i believe.

What should I do to drop my lift down? remove the last XJ leaf? Remove the 1.5" lift shackles and put the stock ones back in? Remove an S10 leaf and put an XJ one back in? I don't know, you tell me.

i would move the lower shock mounts up on the axle

The stock shackle sucks, don't go back to it. It is so short, it doesn't allow good flex. I suggest removing the S-10 second, and replace it with the closest length XJ leaf. If it doesn't work correctly, you can always change it, pretty easy.

yeah, good idea, but i don't have a welder or any other way of doing that.... so, thanks for the input, but next suggestion?

besides the front I can either go 5.5" or 4.5"... and there is no way to make the N35L longer for the front.

yeah, long arms are out of the question too. and longer shocks are also. I guess I'll just start by pulling the pack apart and trying again.

Why dont you just grind off the stock shock mounts and weld new ones either off the back of the axle with a hoop for the top off your frame, or mount the same shock mounts on top your axle. thats what I did.

yeah, like i said a few posts earlier, not welding anything.

already have the shocks... But BPEs will only give me an extra inch. I think I'm just going to drop the height in the rear by replacing one of the S10 leaves with an XJ one.

Just to let you know OME N36Ls should go up to 5" of lift and do alright. If you can get the BPEs installed with them they should be okay.

ty20404 said:
already have the shocks... But BPEs will only give me an extra inch. I think I'm just going to drop the height in the rear by replacing one of the S10 leaves with an XJ one.

That's the way to go, you answered your own question. There's no sense in going higher than you need to. People get infected with "inchitis" and don't realize there's a thing called COG, and proper suspension geometry, that plays a major role in our "sport". It will also ride and flex better by making the pack flatter, and the longer shackle will help too.

Sure relocating the shock mounts would fix the shock issue, but it wouldn't solve the need for a SYE, DS, wanting long arms, etc...

alright, i'll let ya'll know in a couple days when i finish up the front end and get back to those leaf packs.

anyone know if you can get a centering pin equivelent at lowe's or home depot? what size?

thanks.

well, here are what my packs look like now. i've got 6 inches total, 4.5 in the packs and 1.5 in the shackles. I need it down to 5 inches... would taking out that bottom little leaf in the pack (last one in an XJ) bring it down an inch? or should i replace one of the other (s10) ones with an XJ leaf?

DSC02142.jpg

DSC02141.jpg

DSC02143.jpg

Love2Ride450 said:
I think I would try removing the 3rd leaf from the top(S-10 second right?). Try it, if it sags too much, put the closest length XJ leaf in it's place.

I'd do that, but go ahead and add the XJ leaf. You want to keep enough leaves in the pack to avoid axle wrap. That little XJ leaf actually helps this too.

If this is still too high, swap that leaf back to the S-10, and replace a longer spring with an XJ leaf instead. To keep the springs in the pack fitting well, you don't want to replace the bottom S-10 leaf with an XJ or the ends will have a gap.

Also try to stagger the leaves evenly, this will likely require you to cut some of the ends of several leaves. This is an important step in decreasing axle wrap as well, and making the pack last longer. When you cut the ends, you will want to taper them to reduce friction. It's also a good idea to use a teflon liner between the leaves, this dramatically reduces friction allowing the pack to flex and ride great. If you can't do this, just sand and paint them, anything to reduce friction helps.

If built right, there's no reason bastard packs can't perform as well, or better than full replacments.
DSCF1843.jpg

Back