• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake line help

btfury

NAXJA Forum User
Im in the process of installing a 4.5in RE kit on my XJ, and am now trying to replace the factory brake lines with the stainless steel ones that RE provided... Problem is, I can't figure out how to get the old ones off. I feel like I'm making this harder than it is, and maybe its just rusted or something? I don't understand where it disconnects. Thanks for the help...

On the body side, the line is attached to the frame by a small bolt through a bracket. There is a small nut on the top of the line, perpendicular to the bolt that goes into the frame. 3/8 wrench I think.??? You need to loosen it. Then remove the bolt holding the line to the body.

Vice grips are your friends:D. Using an open end wrench on the hardline on the rear axle always seems to spin for me.

" theres a tool for every job"

and that tool
is a.....
sawzall!!!!

Vise grips and sometimes a little heat. Your going to have new fluid so you wont hurt anything. Dont go wild with the heat . Safety goggles on your face and fire extinguisher(not a toy size) near by.

No on the vise grips. Will strip them out. Flare nut wrenches and pb blaster and patience. If that combo does not work then try some heat. I got my 84 line to seperate eventually with daily pb blaster hits flare nut wrenches and a propane plumbers tourch.

Ghost said:
No on the vise grips. Will strip them out. Flare nut wrenches and pb blaster and patience. If that combo does not work then try some heat. I got my 84 line to seperate eventually with daily pb blaster hits flare nut wrenches and a propane plumbers tourch.

I have a flare nut wrench but no longer use it. It just wouldn't do the job on my drivers side when I was changing to the longer GM front brake lines. Careful placement and tightening with a pair of vice grips did do the job without one problem. Now I just use vice grips every time I do this type of job and they work without fail every time.

Were you using good quality flare nut wrenches? The cheap Craftsman, Evercraft, and even the MAC ones don't hold a candle to Snap On.:worship: I am not just trying to plug Snap On either, they are just the best line wrenches, hands down. I am speaking from experience here! Only a few of my tools are from Snap On, but I insisted on having the line wrenches. I have rounded off a flare nut with a Evercraft line wrench, and used a Snap on to get the job done. With vise grips, you have a chance of pinching the nut down on the pipe. I realize it can be done with VG's, but it's much easier to not screw up with a line wrench.

What do you do to a horse with a broken leg.

Shoot it, I guess it's supposed to help in the healing process or something....

But seriously, if you haven't already tried some quality line wrenches, see if you can borrow some from somebody. If that won't work, you will have to GENTLY try some vise grips.

mgreen84 said:
" theres a tool for every job"

and that tool
is a.....
sawzall!!!!
Perfect tool now!!

if you wreck them buy new hardline.....they are cheap.You will need a flare tool but you can rent them at the autoparts store where you get the hard lines.

check the rest of your lines too if you say the are a little crusty, all the way up to the booster too while your at it, mine was rotted to hell and I had to replace the entire thing. It also will not hurt to have someone there who is quite knowledgeable when it comes to brake systems... one thing you do not want to screw around with.

Back