• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

quick question on measuring angles...

ty20404

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an angle finder, one of the square ones from home depot. How to I line up my pinion on my axle to face directly at the yoke on my TC? Thanks.

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00468.jpg

So your running a double cardan (cv) type shaft? Right. You want about 1 or 2 degrees of difference between the pinion and the drive shaft. The theory is that when your on the skinny pedal the shaft will torque the shaft up into alignment with the pinion.

DSC00426.jpg

Is your drive shaft like this at the transfer case? Two ujoints close together.

Not yet. Right now I'm on a 1" TC drop and no shims.

I'm putting in a SYE kit and I need to figure out what shims i need.

Should I just wait until I have the SYE in and the TC drop out? Or can I roughly figure out what degree shim I need?

ty20404 said:
Not yet. Right now I'm on a 1" TC drop and no shims.

I'm putting in a SYE kit and I need to figure out what shims i need.

Should I just wait until I have the SYE in and the TC drop out? Or can I roughly figure out what degree shim I need?
You need to do the SYE first as all the amgles will change!

yeah, i figured that after i posted...

So I should put the SYE in, then how do I find out what angle my pinion should be pointing at? I know I want it pointing directly at the yoke, but what should I reference the angle of the pinion to, to figure out what degree shims i need?

Put the angle finder on the pinion,then put it on the driveshaft!!

Where's your holiday spirit?He's obivously having a hard time understanding this and I'm in the spirit of giving so....
subtract the lesser of the two numbers from the greater.....

for instance if your pinion angle is 18* and your ds angle was 22*(total difference of 4*) you would want a 2* shim because you want the pinion to be around 2* under the ds angle to account for axle wrap upon acceleration....you don't want the pinion to point directly at the t-case yoke you want it around 2* under(I.E at a lesser angle).When you apply power the pinion will rotate and be inline with t-case yoke if you've done everything right.

Looks to me like the above pics are after the pinion angle has been adjusted(hence the pinion angle is 2*below the ds angle)
Make sense???

IIRC you can also use that little round hole next to the square in the pics to put your angle finder on to determine pinion angle....
when you go to shim just remember that the fat part of the shim goes to the rear of the spring perch.

Since your are going with a sye and shims now is a good time to ditch the t-case drop,it's a means to an end....dont do it after you have shimmed because it will change your angles.

Last edited:
Back