• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My Swing Away (pics)-

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
I started my swing away yesterday. This is what I've got so far:
1215071736.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled6.jpg

1216071757a.jpg

1217071155a.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled1.jpg

The entire swing away is made from 3/16th sq/rectangle tube, HD tractor bearings, and almost and entire 10 lbs spool of .30. It’s designed so I can carry a 37" without the tire sticking out past/over the Jeep.

I still have to finish the latch. For this I’m going to box the end in on 3 sides, and use 2 bolts with T handles to latch it. 1 bolt going straight down and the other going straight in (toward the hatch). Around town I will probably only run 1 bolt for ez access, but on wheel'en trips Ill run both for strength. I also have to make a Jerry can mount on the swing away arm it self, then a second can mount in the rim on the swing away. I also have to move my trailer wireing else where now. Then all thats left is to bed liner it.

I am really satisfied with how it came out. If I wanted to I could through a D-ring on it and tow from it. So it meets my needs for a possible high lift point, but mainly for ""thrashability."" + the sheer weight of all the steel made the rear of the XJ ride much smoother.

Looks pretty beef. Definitely support the "free" end of the arm on a cradle or pedestal of some sort, I like your idea of pinning it two ways.

have you figured out how you are going to re-mount the license plate?

The latch just isnt done yet. I started at like 3 pm, while also helping on 3 other projects (SAS on a k5, Sliders on a XJ, and tube fenders on a Mj), so working on my stuff was sparatic. I got it all welded up by like 7pm, but I knew if I tried to fab up the latch I would just end up getto rigging it. I put a tie down around it and called it good for the night. Ill finnish it this week or weekend when I have the time to do it right.

Before my licens plate was bolted throught the rim and backing plate on the swing away. It made the 2 and 3 attach points for the spare tire itself. I dont like that design, and it would keep me from mounting a Jerry can in the tire. My plan is to add 2 wheel studs in the bottom of the backing plate and then just pop rivit the licens plate on under the tire, or closer to the pivit. I also am toying around with putting it on the jerry can or the can mount.

I personally would have not had the weight of the tire/rim primarily on the latch side for two reasons- visibility and durability. I would think it would have added stress on the hinge from that far over. I however am not an engineer or welder so it is strictly an opinion/observation.
Good job on the construction though, i wish I had the ability and equipment.

why so high? there's absolutely no reason to put it in the middle of your window, IMO

The reason is sits so far to the left is because when driving on the street you cant see directly behind you. So setting it to the drivers side acutally improves rear visability. Because it is so off set is the other reason for the over kill latch.
The direction it swings open is set so if Im ever on the side of the road I will be swinging it away from traffic. Also one that occurs much more often... if im at a gas station and I want to swing it open to get into the back (say to add ice to a cooler) it swings away from the pump.

The reason it is set so high up is because my last tire carrier only sat 6" lower (6" looks like a lot), and drug on everything. Ive been known to launch off ledges and stand my Jeep up right trying to climb things. I wanted the greatest possible deparcher/ approch angle I could get. If I was going to keep 35's I would have raised it up 2 more in, but im planning to go 37s. Also the 37s will hang down a little more so later on it wont look as tall.

What is your hinge made out of? Pics of the hinge?

BakersfieldXJ said:
The reason is sits so far to the left is because when driving on the street you cant see directly behind you.

I wanted the greatest possible deparcher/ approch angle I could get.

Almost sounds like you want to fold your rear seat down and put your spare tire on the floor.

Yeah its definately leaning,the latch will do nothing for that!When its closed it should already be resting on some type of stop that limits forward and downward movement! It looks like its just using a bolt/nut!

RCP Phx said:
Yeah its definately leaning,the latch will do nothing for that!When its closed it should already be resting on some type of stop that limits forward and downward movement! It looks like its just using a bolt/nut!

1 reason it looks like it is leaning is because it wasnt closed all the way in the picture. There is actually about a 6" gap between the swing away are and the bumper.
And Im going to cap the end, then box it in on 3 sides [|||||||||| (thats my visual LOL), then the bolts will be going through the top of the box, through the swing away arm, and back out through the bottom of the box again. Then the second bolt will probably enter from the front of the swing arm and thread into the bumper its self. This will stop: forward, up, down, and perpendicular movements. I am going to make it metal on metal, leaving no room for play. I dont care if you have to slam it to get it to shut.

Im going to try and get the latch finnished tomorrow. Ill post pics as I get everything finnished.

So I finnished the latches today. I decided I am going to go back and change a few things, but it will stay with the same design.
swingaway3.jpg

Here is a pic of the pivit that someone asked for:
singaway2.jpg

In this pic you can see just how much rear visability I still have even w/ a 35".
SingAway1.jpg

What's to keep it from rattling around inside that boxed section when closed?

It does look very beefy and it follows the lines of the Jeep very well :)

Its metal on metal w. a rubber backing. It is so tight it cant rattle at all, especially with 2 bolts latching it into place.

Back