• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's AAL Question

Runnin'OnEmpty

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all. I just ordered a long leaf AAL from Rustys; this is just to beef up the rear springs a little, and not to gain much lift over stock height (maybe 1 inch or so).

Is this AAL kit supposed to replace one of the existing springs in my stock pack?

And if not, will I need a longer center bolt and new spring pack retainers?

Many thanks,
ROE

the kit should come w/ the needed spring clips, buut you might have to furnish the center pins. It goes into your stock spring pack along with all the stock leafs. I believe it goes in between the #2/3 leafs or the #1/2 leafs. teh directions will tell you where to install it. It has been many a year since I have used AAL's. Hope this helps ya.

I bought those also. they just go inside the spring pack. They do come with clips and retaining bolts. Although I went out and bought some better retaining bolts after the ones I got from them broke. Go get some good grade 8's from the suspension shop.

I ran Rusty's AAL until it killed my packs, and then built a set of bastard packs.

The AAL goes under the main leaf. It does come with one set of clips, one clip for each side. New center pins are included as well. I used mine with no problems.

Hale

Haleyes said:
I ran Rusty's AAL until it killed my packs.....
Hale
Hale, what do you mean it killed your packs? Does the AAL add stress to the main leaf or something? I wasn't looking for anything extreme, just an inexpensive way to beef up the rear springs which seem to sag over time.

This XJ stays on pavement. It's main purpose is to get the wife to the Mall when it snows.....

Thanks for the replies, guys.

If you wheel with the AAL it will kink the main leaf, I did it with my AAL from rusty's. But for DD to the mal and such i thinkyou should be happy with it, the spring rate doesn't get too stiff and still rides nice.

Back