• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.5" lift RE Drop brackets or Tera long arms?

3XJFamily

NAXJA Forum User
Looking at going up from 3" to 4.5", improving the ride and I am debating between Rubicon Express drop brackets and Teraflex long arms.

This will be a DD on 32's and will see hard (but not extreme) trails. I'm looking at nearly the same price, and ride improvement would be about the same.

Off road, the drop brackets look like they will drag through the rocks fairly often with only 32" tires.

Teraflex are only longer lower arms, with the LCA mounts on the body moved back to the cross member and I wonder about the pinion rotating up / down.

Drop brackets may occasionally hit something, but I've never seen someone hang up on them; even on the hardest trails out there. I ran them with 32's and never had an issue.

The tera setup is not optimal, when you droop the front end the shorter uppers turn your pinion way down, and can cause failure to the lower front driveshaft u-joint.

if you are looking at keeping a 4-link setup, I think your only options are BDS and Full Traction...

Full traction has some beefy arms, good setup - just that their customer service is terrible....

BDS looks like a great setup, but personally, dont know anyone who runs it.

I once looked into the Tera long arms and called a shop in AZ (may have been Yuca man?)and asked them their opinion. They told me that they really did not promote that particular product b/c the design was weak and so was the product. I do not have any personal experience, but that is what I was told for what is is worth (very little!).

Tera flex doesnt make a Long Arm kit,they do make some form of "pos" that they do market that way,need say more!!

I am curious about this too, I plan to go from 3" to 4.5" eventually and I was wondering, at that lift height, whether drop brackets or long arms would be more appropriate, not just the brands that the OP mentioned but overall. I want a smooth riding DD (or as smooth as a lifted Jeep can ever be) that can handle moderate to hard trails once a month or so.

As the OP, I looked at it a lot. At 4.5 consider the cost of adjustable LCAs and UCAs PLUS the cost of some belly armor (if you don't already have it) and you are pretty close to the cost of Long Arms. I got a sweet deal from a friend who's a RE dealer and went with longarms.

Tons of threads here on what's the best long arms - I went with RE for a lot of personal reasons.

Nothing wrong with drop brackets, and I thing they are a great "fix" for someone already at 4.5" or with adjustable CAs already but, I couldn't see designing a system around them.

No need for adjustables with drop brackets. Definitely aftermarket lowers at the least though.

Back