• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tried to start, heard a pop, now no power... help

R6TeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
background: 97 xj, 4.0, aw4(auto), I just replaced my motor with another 4.0 out of grand cherokee.

I'm sure I put something on wrong. Here's the situation. I turned the key on and all the lights and stuff worked. The fuel pump worked, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I turned the key to the start position, and I heard the starter kick out and then nothing. Everything went black. No lights on the dash or anything on for that matter. I know its a fuse and I checked the ones under the hood on the passenger side. All looked fine.

Does anybody have an idea on what/where the inline fuse is located?

thanks

p.s. the "pop" I heard sounded like the bendix(sp)(starter) kicking out. But, I could be wrong.

fusible

backwards polarity on engine.

dirty terminals

check them

The cables are clean and tight,

I did forget to put the ground "strap" that goes to the back of the motor by the valve cover, on.

?fusible? where is that located? I checked all the fuses in the engine bay under the black box. All are fine.

Now some of the wires that I put on the motor, i guessed where they should go. Is there a way to tell where exactly they should go?

ok, I put the ground strap on it, doh x2 :D Then I checked the starter relay, yep bad. When i swapped another relay in the place of the starter relay, everything came back on. So I'm gonna go get a relay.

now on to the pics.

this is a pic of the back passenger side of the motor. The two wires that connect to a bolt, my fingers are pointing at it. Is this right? My fingers are on the wire loom that has these two wires.

rearpassengerside_481.jpg

second pic: this is on the passenger side of the motor. I'm not sure of the name, but a wire goes to the center of the coil. This bolts to the side of the motor and has the two bolts on the bottom. There are some wires that go to these bolts. My question is does it matter which side the wires are connected to? I had one of the wires not connected to this. I don't remember which side it came from. I'd assume that it doesn't matter.

bracket1_108.jpg

It's hard to tell where the wires comes from because they are in the plastic covers. That's really the only place that I could see where those wires could go.

true. that's where those two go. you should also have a ground wire coming from your negative battery lead that can either tie in here or to the firewall or another bolt on your block or something.

Ok, finally the motor has started and all seems to be well. The steering is acting a little weird. I'll worry about that later on, haha.

So for now it's ALIVE!!!

thanks for all the help.

Back