• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 rebuild

74charger

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking to rebuild my 231. I believe that the chain is getting stretched, and it has 130,000 miles on it. what leads me to believe that the chain is stretched is I am getting some play in my front driveshaft, but all the ujoints are good. I don't know if it matters, but both wheel bearings are new. one of the guys at work that rebuilds them told me that if that is the problem, replacing the chain would be dirt cheap and save me replacing the whole thing if the chain snaps. any thoughts? I use 4wd a lot in the winter, and on the dunes in the summer

It's really easy to do. remove both driveshafts, remove the front yoke and open the case up. On the top of the tc, I believe there is a 12 point 3/8 bolt that requires a special socket. Once you have it open, push the shaft that the front yoke mounted to through and the chain will come off.

74charger said:
I am looking to rebuild my 231. I believe that the chain is getting stretched, and it has 130,000 miles on it. what leads me to believe that the chain is stretched is I am getting some play in my front driveshaft, but all the ujoints are good. I don't know if it matters, but both wheel bearings are new. one of the guys at work that rebuilds them told me that if that is the problem, replacing the chain would be dirt cheap and save me replacing the whole thing if the chain snaps. any thoughts? I use 4wd a lot in the winter, and on the dunes in the summer
it could also be play from the frt diff

Back