• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear selector linkage tab broke off of transmission.

TwistedSymphony

NAXJA Forum User
So this happened about 8 months ago, and I tried to fix it last May. The little tab that is bolted to the side of the AW4 that has the gear selector linkage has broken off. The retaining nut, and threaded piece just broke. I don't know where they went and I wasn't wheeling when it happened. There is lots of slop with the shifter, and it goes into part about 1/2 of the time (I can get it in with some special jiggling of the shifter).

I tried to fix it by tack welding it to the inner part that it fits over, but it just broke off. I had to weld up another AW4 in the same spot, and its been holding...but I did have a MUCH cleaner surface to weld to.

So I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to fix this? I'm thinking of taking a grinder and smoothing out the surfaces and doing a very quick weld to make them stick together. My only worry is I could possibly melt an o-ring or seal while trying this. Like I said...I've done it before, but I'd like to avoid doing it again (if possible).

So any ideas on how to fix this without swapping in a new transmission?

Last edited:
The threaded part on mine broke off flush with the face of the tab. I just welded across it and it works just fine. Didn't melt anything and no leaks.

lawsoncl said:
The threaded part on mine broke off flush with the face of the tab. I just welded across it and it works just fine. Didn't melt anything and no leaks.

Thats good to hear. I didn't know if I was just lucky. I think I'll prep the surface really well then make sure that its a strong, clean weld.

Thanks for the input!

Back