• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Headlight wiring problem

Lynx

NAXJA Forum User
So when we got all the snow a little while ago im driving along and my headlights and dash lights were intermittent. Everything worked perfectly while on highbeam. Then last night I went to drive and I had no dash or parking lights. I looked at it today and the dashlight and parking light fuses were blown. So I put in a new headlight switch, which didnt solve anything. I replaced the parking lamp fuse and the dash and parking lights came on dim and the fuse started to melt/smoke so i shut it off. I sprayed out all the relays, and checked over the parking lights and everything seems to be fine. I also quickly looked over all the headlight wiring crap I could see and nothing smelt or looked melted.

Any Ideas?

Thankshttp://naxja.org/

Try cleaning the connectors at the headlights. Had a '90 that when I put the High Beams on, the stalk/steering column would start buzzing (like an electrical type buzz). I cleaned up the headlight connectors and the tabs on the headlights and the problem went away. I know this isn't exactly like your problem, but, who knows....

A company called GC makes a burnishing tool, it's a really fine file made out of spring steel, about the size of a match book striker, it's made for cleaning contacts. A good electrical supply store should carry them. I clean my headlight sockets about 1 a year during spring cleanup and put a dab of dielectric grease on the bayonets of the H4 bulbs I run in my E codes.
They look like this http://www.westlake-electronic.com/store/search/1/detail/1/item_no/GCW14002/index.htm

Lynx said:
Where are the grounds I should check? All I can track down is the main battery ground and the one to the firewall.
Follow the wires from the headlight sockets, one will branch off to the body close by the headlight. I remove and clean them every couple of years then put a coat of dielectric grease on them to keep corrosion at bay.

woohoo figured it out. Was something to do with the license plate light wiring/ground for the liftgate switch shorting or something.

Works now.

The headlight problem was unrelated. One of the main lighting harness connectors is under the airbox, and two of the wires were broken off one side of the connector. I just jumped those wires across the connector and everything works perfectly now.

I really never thought I was going to figured this out.

Your profile says 1988. I've noticed the fuse panels in the older Renix Jeeps tend to get corroded. Especially if you've had the clutch master dripping oil on it. I went through a bunch of cooked fuses until I clean all the contacts with contact cleaner and a thin fingernail file. I replaced all the fuses too and no problems since. Although it sounds like you could have a short to ground somewhere and you're pulling way to much current.

Back