• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear hub play

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
I've been noticing that my back left tire has been locking up with the slightest amounts of brake pressure, so I took the wheel and drum off today (1989 Dana 35, 362,000 KM) and I found something I'm not sure is.. good.

When I push and pull on the hub, it has play. Seems like the whole axle shaft is loose. I can push and pull the hub at least a quarter of an inch. Also, when I pull it out, and turn it back and forth, there is a lot of excessive play, almost like a grinding noise. When it's pushed in, it's much less. The brakes also had some odd gouging wear on them.

Is this basically telling me that my axle is, or is going to be, shot? Or is it normal? Also, another problem started today. If, and only if, I'm in 4x4 (hi, havnt tried low), and I turn right, I can hear a scraping sound coming from the rear. Sounds like the back left, but I'm not sure. What it sounds like is the drum scraping on something.

I don't know rear ends at all, so any advice would be welcome.

Edit: Just saw the similiar threads, and apparently it's normal for a C clip axle. Not sure if mine is. However the play does seem excessive, and I do get a whinging noise from the axle whenever moderate torque is applied to it.

Last edited:
A quarter inch is a bit much, although an eighth is pretty normal. I think 89 may be the first year of the C-clip.

However, before assuming that this is the cause of your brake problems, make sure that you manually adjust both brakes. The brake adjusters are notoriously ineffective, and uneven brake adjustment seems to be the major culprit in grabbing. Oddly enough, it always seems to be the left, I don't know why. All my Jeeps have done this from time to time, and all have been at least mostly cured of it by adjustment.

The D35 c-clip axle came out in 1990, but it is possible you have one. Do you have a metal or rubber fill plug on the diff? If it is a c-clip axle, some in-out play is normal. A non-clip axle should have zero play. A lot of side-side play means the axle bearing is bad. Does the other side have the same play?

The fill plug is metal. But it's a lot of play, definiteley at least a quarter inch. Havn't tried the other side yet. And it pushes in and out solidly. I've never tested a bad bearing so I don't know if it's that, or the gears themselves.

Also the XJ was bought in early 1989 as it still has the Peugeot BA/10 tranny.

userbmx1315 said:
replace the d35 with something stronger and more reliable

Thanks, but I'm only on 235's and don't really plan to go bigger any time soon. If the axle IS shot, then yeah I'll look for an 8.25 or D44 or something other than a Dana 35, but, I need to know if this play is normal..

In theory it's not because it has the metal fill plug. Pull the drum off, If there is a hole in the axle shaft end, to get access to the retaining plate nuts, then you have a semi float. Or pull the diff cover and look at the end of the shafts in the carrier. If you have play, you will need to remove the shafts and get new bearings and retainers pressed on.

New races as well.

Last edited:
The metal fill plug usually means it's a non-clip axle. The holes in the axle shaft face as Ryan described is the other indicator. If you look in there you can see a plate that holds the bearing in. Just picturing how its put together in my head, something has to be really munched to get 1/4" in-out play.

I posted these part numbers a while back and though you might find having part numbers helpful.
Part number for the inner seal is 83503010. The bearing kit that includes the outer seal is part number 83501451

http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product5962.html
http://www.just4jeep.com/catalog/product6051.html
http://www.thehouseofjeep.com/index....product_id=629

i have an 89 with peugot 5 sp and the d35c. it is not a c-clip axle. c stands for custom.

as for the brakes locking up, its somewhat normal for the brakes to lock up when there is moisture in the drums. i rebuild my rear drums every 2 years and do maintenence on them every 6 months. this seems to cure the locking up. drums need to be properly maintained, period.

89xj said:
i have an 89 with peugot 5 sp and the d35c. it is not a c-clip axle. c stands for custom.

as for the brakes locking up, its somewhat normal for the brakes to lock up when there is moisture in the drums. i rebuild my rear drums every 2 years and do maintenence on them every 6 months. this seems to cure the locking up. drums need to be properly maintained, period.

I just rebuilt the brakes this summer. It can't be that. Both wheels lock up, too. It stops doing so after I drive for about 15 minutes, so maybe it's just rust or something.

Sounds like the bearing is going out. I had the same problem a couple years ago. Was something like a $35 fix and I was back on the road.

I don't know about that. I have perfectly even tread wear, and I don't get any noise or vibrations really.

Only thing I can think of is, the 4 nuts are loose on the retaining bolts. It would make the bearing want to fall out of the race.

Not sure about your axle end play but if you are locking up only ONE tire in the rear you might have a leaking wheel cylinder. If your pads get brake fluid on them they will lock up.

mattbred said:
I just rebuilt the brakes this summer. It can't be that. Both wheels lock up, too. It stops doing so after I drive for about 15 minutes, so maybe it's just rust or something.

I don't know about that. I have perfectly even tread wear, and I don't get any noise or vibrations really.

yes, rust and moisture can cause the rear brakes to lock up and after a few minutes be ok. i was always under the impression it was fairly common on xj's for this to happen.

Well after driving for 15 minutes, I was putting moderate pressure on the brakes on a wet road and the backs locked up. By the way I believe both brakes are locking up now, and they don't do it in reverse. Not sure if it's related to the axle shafts.

Brake fluid, gear oil can cause grabby brakes. Moisture can do it too. As for the c-clip or not issue- if the axle tube is the same diameter all the way to the backing plate it is a c-clip axle. If it increases in size at the backing plate, no c-clips.

Back